A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Alternator needs replacing....should I just have my shop install it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator needs replacing....should I just have my shop install it?

So i just came back from the grocery, and my battery light went on....voltage around 11. I replaced my battery a month or two ago, so I'm pretty certain my alternator is shot. Question is, how much time can I buy myself before the car leaves me stranded. Reason I'm asking is I'm not sure whether or not to install it myself since I need the car for work all week...and probably won't have the time until the wkend to install it.

Worse case scenario I can bring the car to my indy shop tomorrow. How much is the going rate for an alternator installed nowadays anyway?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It shouldn't take them more than an hour or so. I have an alt on the shelf if you need one.

The car will not run long AT ALL with a shot alt. Do NOT try to go anywhere to speak of.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default should not take you more 45 minutes to one hour...

if you don't have a fan to move out of the way.

Book says 3.9 hours
Old 12-18-2006, 06:55 PM

Default ok so I got a ride into work tomorrow....where are you located? It looks like I'll probably be..

installing this myself, but might be best just to pick up one from an Autozone since I'll be doing the install tomorrow afternoon/evening.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:01 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default If the alternator isn't putting out at all...

You'll last about 45 minutes before the voltage drops so low that you get stuck. If you're already at 11, I'd say 15 minutes.

If the alternator is still putting out a little juice...then it all depends on how much it's putting out, and how consistently. Your guess is as good as mine.

BTW, read this mornings posts about the comment Joey and I made about cheap replacement alternators.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Send me yours, I'll send you mine. I am in Maine though... not going to work for tomorrow.

Autozone/etc are Meh at best.

I have a local place that rebuilds them to "better than new" specs. They have been around for EVER, got to be more than 50-60 years.

If I can help I will. You need to verify if you have a Bosch or Valeo and what one of a couple choices.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:14 PM

Default hmm....thanks for the heads up on the cheaper replacements....

I'll figure out what to do once I get to work tommorow morning. I've already left the guys @ Quattrohaus a message, so I'm expecting them to give me a ring in the am. The easiest/painless thing I can think of is bringing the car to them after work tomorrow....Maybe I'll have a friend follow me to their shop if need be.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cheap alt. are not worth the $$$. If you can wait for shipping I have a good one....

But you need to verify which one you have.

Email me if you want, I don't want to be "selling" things on the forum...... Kris will get mad. ;-P
Old 12-19-2006, 03:06 AM

Default yup i know....thats what RKA was hinting to me not to get. Thanks for the offer man, but....

it looks like I need to get this fixed today. If I can't get my hands on an alternator or have the car fixed today, I'll hit you up. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No worries. Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: Alternator needs replacing....should I just have my shop install it?