A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Amp question......(medium)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-1999, 03:30 PM
CH

Default Amp question......(medium)

I've checked the archives and have seen some descriptions/pics of amp installations. I 'd like to mount my amp on the bottom of the rear deck(amp rack) but that's where I plan on putting the JL Stealthbox. I really don't want to mount it on the back of the seat, or either side of the trunk. I really want it hidden well. What do you guys think of putting it in the spare tire well, under the spare tire? Will it fit? I think it might get too hot unless I cut some holes through the covering but I don't want to do that. I also want to keep my spare in there. How about under the passenger seat? Although I don't think there's enough space. Also, for those with a stealthbox did you remove the rear speakers? Thanks for any info/ideas!
Old 01-11-1999, 03:58 PM
Jason C

Default Re: Amp question...

I've had amps under the back deck, in other cars. I think it is a very good spot, it's discrete, and you can get to x-over and gain controls if need be...<p>I don't particulary care for the JL stealthboxs, I think you could do much better...<p>But thats a different topic...<p>Good luck<br>Jason C
Old 01-11-1999, 03:59 PM
Lance

Default Re: Amp question......(medium)

If you go with the StealthBox (which I think is waaayyy overpriced), you won't be able to use the rear deck speakers. Get the PowerWedge box instead, then you can mount your amp under the rear parcel deck and still install some quality 6.5" coaxials.
Old 01-11-1999, 04:20 PM
Jason C

I agree...
Old 01-11-1999, 05:17 PM
Tom

Careful when mounting your amp. If you plan to drive it hard, make sure it has proper ventilation. Use some computer fans if necessary with a switch mounted under the dash if you want to "stuff" it in tight somewhere. Not really a good idea to mount it up-side-down since the heat will get trapped in the heat sink, defeating the purpose to some extent. Another thing you could do is get an amp with an internal fan. There's lots of things possible. Someone always told me it's best to do it right. Otherwise your choices are a fried unit or a stolen one....... both ideas suck.<p>BTW, I don't own an A4 but we're looking at buying one. Otherwise I'd try to give some ideas for mounting. I've done tonnes of DIY installs and learn't the hard way on a number of items!!!<p>Later<p>
Old 01-11-1999, 05:34 PM
Jason Teller

Default Variation on question (long, but I need help)

I do have the Stealthbox installed. The best part is that it doesn't take much of the trunk. Also very "stealthy" -- hence the name :-) People can't spot it when you open your trunk.<p>My amp is mounted on the back of the drivers side rear seat. Out of the way. Good cooling, etc...<p>My problem is that my amp SUCKS. I'm not kidding -- this amp was taken from a previous aftermarket install in my wife's '90 Civic. It's a Pioneer Premier. 4 channel, 200 watts. I would like to: 1) upgrade the amp, 2) add speakers to rear doors. Here's some explanation:<p>1) The sub sounds very muddled at times. There is not good clarity. I think the crossover(s) in the amp are pretty weak. I get a lot of drowned out pounding. I need to fix that, which I think is doable with a better amp (one more suited for the application).<p>2) The stereo sounds like its missing the entire mid range. The front speakers and tweeters are stock (i.e. not amped and are stock speakers). The rear speakers were removed for the Stealthbox. I would like to put speakers in the rear doors to fill in the mid range.<p>Questions: I need amp recommendations. I need speaker recommendations. Should the rear speakers be amped as well?<p>I realize I've asked a lot. All help appreciated.<p>Jason
Old 01-11-1999, 05:49 PM
Larry Victor

I have the Stealthbox, & it's excellent in my system (BTW, of course you have to remove the rear speakers------that's how the unit fits onto the rear deck). We solved the amp problem by using an internally fan-cooled unit (Phoenix Gold ZX450), mounted (hidden) in a custom panel in the left side of the trunk, where the tool box & CD changer used to be. The CD changer is mounted in a protective box on the panel. there is room behind the panel to mount the amp, MB Quart crossovers, & a 1Farad capacitor, and the panel can be easily opened, simply by loosening 2 Allen bolts, for access for service, etc. I'll be posting pics within the next week or two.
Old 01-11-1999, 06:13 PM
Larry Victor

Default Re: Variation on question (long, but I need help)

Jason, you should speak to me by phone, I have more to say than I can easily post. E-mail me & i'll give you my phone #s. I believe I can help.
Old 01-11-1999, 06:22 PM
CH

Does the PowerWedge box mount under the rear deck? I want to be able to use the trunk!
Old 01-11-1999, 06:47 PM
ChuckH

This is a great idea! :-)

Quick Reply: Amp question......(medium)