A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

another 2 control arms bite the dust, and 3 questions (long)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2000, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another 2 control arms bite the dust, and 3 questions (long)...

Well I brought in my '97 A4 2.8 QM in for a brake fluid change after a lapping event at Waterford Hills, MI. I also had the mechanic search for the cause of horrible creaking/groaning noises that sounded like control arm bushings that had "gone south". As I suspected, one upper control arm (driver's side) and one lower control arm (pass. side) need to be replaced. One of the arms has to be ordered. Question to service rep. "Time to arrive"? Answer "Hopefully within 2 weeks" (he didn't sound very sure of himself).
I am running the original shocks with the new Audi Sport springs. My first question is--could the age of the shocks accelerate the stress placed on the control arms to the point that 2 units wore out on the same day? I had the car on the track long enough to burn 3/4 of a tank, and was pushing hard (3rd fastest time out of 25 cars, half of which were on racing compounds--I was not). I didn't replace the shocks because the dealer said it was't necessary, and since I am on the Assured Audi extended warrantee, I figured WTF, if he's wrong I can always put new shocks in later, since the extra labour and any other parts (i.e control arms) will be covered. The service rep isn't suggesting I replace the shocks, but if I have any further suspension issues, I think I will press him to admit new shocks are the real solution. Your thoughts?
Last question...I have a new email address; do I need to create a new sign-on account, or can I just send an email requesting the existing account be modified? TIA.
Old 06-06-2000, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I forgot to mention, new shocks =Bilstein Sports=CAN$1250

This is a decidedly more expensive option than letting the dealer replace control arms under warrantee. And I don't have any 'pogo' effect with the current setup, which I had anticipated as a possibility after reading the archives.I am satisfied with the current handling of the car. I will only do the odd (1-2 per year) lapping event at Waterford Hills/Mosport/Shannonville.