A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Answers Finally!-'97 1.8TQ Auto Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-1999, 12:37 PM
Mike T.

Default Answers Finally!-'97 1.8TQ Auto Transmission Problems

Now for some of us we need to get into the old way back machine for all the reported 1.8T auto-transmission problems when the car was first introduced. Most people reported hesitation which was corrected w/ a new ECU, but for others it just never got better. I really thought the car was just slow but then as time wore on the transmission just didn't work. I've been in Pacers that shift better.<br>So it is now to the point where Audi Germany (yes my transmission problem has become an international problem)Audi is sending a transmission to my dealer and will be here next Tuesday. The German's didn't even want the dealer to look at potential problems they are shipping the entire unit (not the quattro diffs and whatnot) and the germans want the transmission back to take apart on their own. So any of the older 1.8T owners with transmission problems reported to their dealers that got them no where maybe this will help.<br>I will let you know if the tranny makes a difference I am sure it will. The car should be ready next Saturday so looks like a rental for me. Audi's paying for the rental which I pick up on Saturday I wonder what it will be.<br>If you notice the tone of message isn't nasty (which it should be) I am just glad that I haven't been thinking I nuts when I drove the car and atleast it's finally getting fixed.<p>Mike<br>'97A41.8TQ '99Auto
Old 01-14-1999, 01:25 PM
Manual Man

Congrats. Hopefully the new tranny will help. Hey, were the autos Tiptronic in 97? If not are you getting one?
Old 01-14-1999, 06:06 PM
Mike T.

Default They weren't Tip in '97. But I doubt they are going to install one now. I should call & find out.

"<br>
Old 01-15-1999, 12:52 AM
Brian T

Default Re: Answers Finally!-'97 1.8TQ Auto Transmission Problems

Was this problem common? I have a fairly early 97 1.8T auto trans (purchased DEC 96), and I've brought it it to check for what I thought was hesitation. The shop told me it was just turbo lag.<p>
Old 01-15-1999, 07:37 AM
Mike T.

Default I think your Dealer is a Liar!

How can it be turbo lag. That's the beauty of the engine and why Wards named it one of it's 10 Best - no turbo lag. The hesitation is corrupted s/w code on your ECU. You need to have your ECU replaced. If you search the archives or the web look for an article from Schamburg Audi in IL. They had a great write up and replacement steps and checks for the dealer to look at. I printed this out brought it to the dealer and they followed what the article said got the same error codes and had a new ECU for me in about a week. Hope this helps.<p>Mike