A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anybody else had their front bumper come lose on the sides?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody else had their front bumper come lose on the sides?

Hello:

I own a 1999 Audi A4. It has always functioned flawlessly, but recently the front bumper has come lose (the left and right sides near the wheel wells have apparently popped out of their mounts)for no apparent reason (i.e. no accident or impact of any kind). This has now happened twice and the bumper has popped fairly securely back into place.

Is this normal wear and tear that others have experienced? The snap mounts don't appear broken. If it happens again, do you think a cardboard shim is enough or does a mechanic need to look at it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Elder Member

Default could you get the clips replaced?

i've heard of this before. do a search for loose bumpers or something of that nature. sorry i cant help more
Old 06-14-2003, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ahhh audi's loose bumper...

this has happen to me several times, after a lot of searching, etc. i have found this: there are two brackets.. one in the middle of the bumper (on each side) and one near the top (on each side).. You must push the middle one in first, then push the top one in by standing up against it, and pushing in and up.. it should clip in place. then if you want it not to pop out anymore you can take it to a body shop for a couple of screws in the tire well or a couple of black draw ties... its your pick..
hope that could help
ps this happen to me from pulling over a curb to much, and then reverse off it and pulling the bumper loose (not saying that is what happened to you tho) :P
Old 06-14-2003, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I just noticed that on my car last week!

Occassionally when I pull into my parking garage I tap the parking barrier. And two weeks ago I was at the Sears customer pickup area, and some idiot backed into my car. No damage, but I thought the loose bumper cover was a result of that.

But like you said, it just popped back into place and looks fine. I guess I should watch it more closely.

-- P.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Even when loosened, the bumper appears hinged at it's top front center. Any danger of ...

the bumper loosening during driving and actually falling off of my car and then seriously damaging my car as I drove over the dislodged bumper?

If the bumper is firmly secured to the car somewhere, the loose bumper is just a nuisance. If the possibility exists that it can actually become completely separated from my car during driving, then I think I will need a definitive fix.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2003, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: ahhh audi's loose bumper...

Clarification:

The bumper snaps in on top of the middle bracket?

and

on top of or below the top bracket?

I think I snapped mine back into place on top of the middle bracket and below the top bracket. Is this correct?
Old 06-14-2003, 07:25 AM

Default Yes. I don't think it is fully engaged. I'd 'start over' if I were you.

I had about the same issue when I first pulled my bumper and reinstalled it.
You might try loosening the wheel well screw, pull the two mounting bolts under the lower vent covers on the nose (bumper shock mounts)push the bumper all the way in, disengage the clips and then:
1. Lift up on the bumper edge at the wheel well and press the lower outside panel inward and down FIRMLY.
2. While holding firm pressure against the middle of the side of the bumper (enough to bend it inward) press the top down and inward until it pops into the upper clip.
3. Pull the bumper forward as far as possible and re-install the two bumper shock mounting bolts.
4. Re-install the wheel well torx screws
Old 06-14-2003, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you will not have a problem there...

i had the same fear, but after more examination of the bumper it is securely fixed to many parts of the car.. esp around the middle of the bumper (front of the car)... It is a nuisance, but that is all it is.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:35 AM

This is a comon problem....you probly just need some new clips
Old 06-14-2003, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Are these clips user - replaceable?

If so, how much should they cost? Available at Clair Parts? Any FAQ available on this website?

Quick Reply: Anybody else had their front bumper come lose on the sides?