A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone having bad luch with their A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 02:36 PM
Garrett

Default Anyone having bad luch with their A4

I own a '97 A4 2.8Q manual transmission 65k miles. Just reading through all the great comments about the car on this web page.

I love the car too, thinking about buying the 2001 TT for my wife and 2001 S4 for myself. Realized I've been totally blinded by my love of the car. Here's a list of problems:

Idle regulator
Rear left wheel bearings
rear left window cable harness
rear right speaker
front left window cable harness
Idle regulator (again)
Rear right wheel bearings
rear brakes
Tires (garbage they put on '97s lasted 40k)
leaking valve cover (out of warranty)
front brakes (out of warranty audi paid 80%)
left rear axle/differential seal (out of warranty)
right rear axle/differential seal (out of warranty)
four ball joints (out of warranty audi paid for $1500 in parts)
cruise control (out of warranty)

Is it just me or does anyone else have a similar lengthy list. Come on, ball joints at 65K. I put 120K on my Bronco before I had to replace ball joints, probably 20K was a serious off road pounding.

I sent AOA customer service an e-mail, they didn't even acknowledge they received it. Are you guys really sure this is such a great car/company?
Old 01-10-2000, 02:44 PM
Bob

Default Garrett, you are definitely not the only one here with many problems!

There has been much written here about A4 problems especially the past few weeks. Do a search on "A4 ISSUES", or "problems", or "control arms". Also, I don't have much good to say about Audi "Customer Advocates". Overall, a below average experience in comparison to Lexus, Infinity, or even BMW or Mercedes customer relations.

Bob
96 A4QM
86 4KCSQM
Old 01-10-2000, 03:00 PM
pauls

I wouldn't disagree that the A4 may be more problematic than it should be but your car is atypical
Old 01-10-2000, 03:39 PM
DaveN

Default Gee, wish my tires would last 40K...

Don't think I have ever had tires last that long, the type of cars I bey encourages sporty driving. The remainder of your list seems excessive though.
Old 01-10-2000, 03:46 PM
Alan

Default On the other hand...

My 1998.5 1.8Tqms has had exactly no problems at 25,000 miles. And I mean really none. The last 10,000 miles or so have been with the APR chip. And remember, the happy owners with no problems are much less likely to comment. On the third hand, yes, a lot of people seem to have less than adequate support from AoA. I've had no interaction with AoA so I can't make a useful comment there.
Alan
Old 01-10-2000, 03:50 PM
Gordon Martin

I've had a couple more than I expected - but my friend's list grows rapidly! - blinded by love also
Old 01-10-2000, 08:09 PM
Tom

Default My 97 A4 1.8T still feels rock-solid except....

1) 4-second wet braking delay issue....and
2) paint chippings on the thin 97 Aluminum Silver paint
Your car is probably one of those lemon produced, there are still many other Audi models on the roads mean Audi is a very reliable German machinery. Your car is not a typical Audi or German car in terms of reliability and dependabilty, IMHO.
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 BORA GLS 2.0
00 (OR 01) NEW BEETLE GLS 1.9TDI (ON ORDER)
98.5 A4 1.8TQAS WETTED
Old 01-10-2000, 09:20 PM
Wayne H.

Default Wow, 4-seconds?!?

Hey Tom, I know the wet braking problem has been discussed and over-discussed, but you're saying you have no brakes for 4 seconds? That's an incredibly long period of time!! If it really is 4 seconds, if I was you I'd do everything (even at my own cost) to fix the problem. Have you tried the Mintex Redbox pads yet? Some people seemed to have some improvement over the wet-braking issue... even try replacing your existing pads with new stock pads may help.

In any case, if you're getting 4 second delay - get it fixed or don't drive that car. Good luck and hopefully things get better!

Wayne
99 1.8TQMS
Old 01-10-2000, 10:39 PM
Tom

Default New pads and discs....

My dealer already replaced the new discs and pads after I contact the regional manager to check up my 4-second delay issue on a rainy day. However, those new pads and discs don't really help improve braking distance in wet weather.
I will go for Mintex Redbox anytime as my warranty will be expire in roughly 6 months. Still, my parents wanted to trade for another A4 after my dad experienced the same experience on a freezing rain weather. Too bad I don't want to get a new car because after the warranty means modifications begin.
My girlfriend's 98.5 doesn't have this problem, her brake pedal has the "exact" minute response which is great. I would rather drive my VW if the weather is really lousy and the roads are wet. Sounds like an oxymoron to the excellent traction of Quattro system with this wet braking problem???
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 BORA GLS 2.0
00 (OR 01) NEW BEETLE GLS 1.9TDI (ON ORDER)
98.5 A4 1.8TQAS WETTED
Old 01-11-2000, 06:45 AM
Garrett

Default Re: Gee, wish my tires would last 40K...

I guess I got lucky on the tires then. That's me doing double and triple lane changes at 85, at off ramps as fast as possible.

Quick Reply: Anyone having bad luch with their A4