AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   Anyone own a Passat and A4? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/anyone-own-passat-a4-1799/)

Mark 01-08-1999 11:14 PM

Anyone own a Passat and A4?

<br>Is there anyone here that owns both cars who can give there honest feedback about similarties/ comparison, likes and dislikes, about anything and everything? Which car will make me smile bigger as I walk toward it to get in? I'm 32 - soon to be married -no kids, skier, love the looks, sportiness, and quattro of the A4, but the Passat is nice for cushiness, space, and price. With a few short test drives I can't gauge whether I'll be able to live with the fun factor of the Passat or will I need the A4? - the Passat seemed surprisingly close on the fun gauge. I guess I'll have to go test drive again, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cameron 01-09-1999 12:54 AM

Here's my input...

Having four cars on the platform in the family now (uncle has a silver/black Passat, we have three A4's), I think I'm in a position to give some input. Of the cars, my opinion is that in stock form the fun factor is ordered this way among the cars...<p>1) 1999 A4 1.8T 20v Quattro<br>2) 1997 A4 1.8T 20v Quattro<br>3) 1999 Passat 2.8L 30v<br>4) 1996 A4 2.8L 12v Quattro<p>The 1.8T is fun stock, and the 30v is even more fun stock if it's in an A4. In my opinion, the wiggles that show up in the Passat suspension at speed devalue the driving experience (5spd, stock suspension). Versus the original A4 suspension setup, the Passat and A4 are about even (99 Passat versus 96 A4), but the later A4 stock setups and sport suspension package make the A4 a superior car. The availability of Recaro sport seats in the 1997 A4 pushes the A4 ahead, even in the post-lease used-car market. While tuning is arguably a leveling point, the majority of available tuners for you in the U.S. fit into one of the following catagories:<p>1) hard-core Audi tuner, worked on everything from UrQ's, to 5000's, to 90's, to coupes, to gray-market toys, to A4's, to A8's... they'll change your 2.8's displacement and know a guy who specializes in bulletproofing A8's.<p>2) hard-core VW tuner, worked on everything under the sun, three perfectly restored old beetles sit in front of the shop, every clipping and rumor mentioning a MY2002 Microbus is attached to the shop walls with masking tape, they'll work on an A4 or Passat, but they'd rather race-prepare your GTI.<p>3) all-round tuner, he knows about cars, knows how cars work, does an SL now and then, a 911 here, an old Elan there, occasionally he works on other stuff... he'll be happy to mess around with an A4 or Passat if it turns into a serious project.<p>4) dealer tuner, he wants your future VW/Porsche/Audi business, and will make your current car a better car through a tuning department as a plan to capture future business.<p>A tuner will be able to make your Passat feel like and A4, or make your A4 feel like the tightest thing on earth, but the real question is stock condition. And the A4 wins, hands-down, from an enthusiast point of view. It feels lighter, drives more seriously, has less body roll stock, handles better stock, provides Quattro which is especially relevant if you're a skier, and it appears to fit your needs. Also, though I'm sure the transmission is probably the same, the shifter feel in the A4 seems a bit more positive... but it may be the rest of the car's influence on subjective things like that...<p>Cameron

SteveW 01-09-1999 05:51 AM

Passat and A4?

I've got an A4 1.8T my dad has a passat. Like Cameron I think the A4 both looks a little nicer and interiorly looks richer. The A4 can be got with quattro ,which mine is - Dad's is FWD and so far can't be bought with quattro (maybe later this year)For general driving both are very simillar (I don't have the sport pkg). Haven't pushed dad's to the edge yet on performance but it appears pretty good with a little more roll. We are both chipped and the fwd/standard pulls away a little faster than my tip/quattro. (Both leave most of the other traffic behind quite easily. My auto is geared a little higher I think. 80 mph@3000 rpm.)My 94 Rx7 was much faster. I think you may get more bang for the buck with the Passat and the powertrain warrantty is 10yr/100,000 mile on the Passat. 3yr/50,000 with Audi. On a car with as many valves and computers and my fancy tiptronic trany should you buy one, the 100,000 mile warranty is a definite plus (I wish I had it.) That said though I love the feel of the quattro. It's unlike any I've owned before. I like the tiptronic. I live in San Diego and have to negotiate a lot of heavy traffic and the manual mode works pretty damn good when sporting around.Though it's not perfect. Buying or leasing may offer different choices for you. I bought and am VERY happy with my A4. Either way you won't end up with a bad choice. In my opinion.

Ross 01-09-1999 07:03 AM

Consider gas consumption

Gas mileage on the quattro is not great (neither is the range), no doubt due to the <br>incresed mechanical. If you're putting on alot of miles the savings may pay for a flight away from the snow. (or let the new wife spend----- AGAIN)

Dave W 01-09-1999 07:20 AM

Re: Anyone own a Passat and A4?

My previous car was a 94 Passat GLX, which I traded in for a 98.5 A4 2.8 QM. <br>I really loved the Passat at the time and was considering another one, but was <br>only able to testdrive the 98 1.8T 5sp VW. Couldn't find a 2.8 5sp Passat in the <br>Boston area. Thought that the car was a bit underpowered and the handling<br>was a bit on the soft side. Initailly tested the 1.8T A4 QMS and was immediately<br>BLOWN away by the difference! Couldn't find one (98) in all of New England<br>equipped the way I wanted, so went for the 2.8. I have to say that this is probably<br>one of the best cars that I've ever owned! It just snowed last night in the Boston<br>area and I had a BLAST!<br>The only thing that I miss about my Passat is the additional interior space. The<br>A4 is a little tighter in the shoulder area and a lot shorter in rear leg room (but<br>then again, I don't expect to ride in back!) Don't get me wrong, I still thing the<br>Passat is a great car if you can get a (my preference) GLX 5sp, but the A4 is<br>really a cut above it! Sorry for the long reply. Hope this helps!

Ty 01-09-1999 08:22 AM

The Warrenty on the Passet is ONLY! 2/24,000! That alone would make me choose an A4! A4 has a great warrenty and ALL service is included!<br>Not many auto makers offer that!<br>

KJ 01-09-1999 08:41 AM

I bought the A41.8 QMS and my buddy has the Passat w/ similar options. The Passat has more room for back seat passengers (I never sit back there so it doesnt affect me!) The A4 rides like a tight german sports car and the Passat has more of a family, smooth riding comfort thing. if you do a balloon note, the A4 holds more value and makes up for the higher price. they are both better than everything else in the price range, go for either one and you will be happy.

Cameron 01-09-1999 09:05 AM

If range is *such* a big deal, consider a 20g fuel cell

nt<br>

Josh 01-09-1999 10:04 AM

With a lot of experience with both...

The A4 (in 2.8 trim) is a more luxurious ride; it does more to impress people, whether you mean for it or not. The all-wheel drive is fantastic, especially in this snow and rain we're going through now in the northeast, but it also holds its own in the dry. The stereo (in Bose upgrade) is far better, the car is quieter, it handles better, and just feels tighter.<p>The Passat is a larger version. It isn't as luxurious (even in top-end GLX form), but the blue dash lighting really gives it a unique feel. The instruments are A4- (meaning that it's the same pod but missing the two readings), it doesn't handle as well (whether you get GLS or GLX you're still looking at 195/55R15's), and it doesn't have that many upgrades to make it "comfortable."<p>The reality, however, is that you can do a lot with a car costing $22700 (my "target price" for a Passat GLS 1.8T with Tiptronic and 'luxury package' (15" alloys, sunroof, rear sunshade). My fully-loaded A4 was about $10K more, and doesn't have the Tip.<p>-josh

Josh 01-09-1999 10:05 AM

Also - Audi warranty 3/50K, VW 2/24 -- important to note