A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi A4 B5 2.8 Water Pump and Timing Belt issue

Old 09-09-2015, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 B5 2.8 Water Pump and Timing Belt issue

Few days ago, when I am driving local with about 30mph.

Suddenly there is no power and rpm started dropping
I stopped the car aside and won't start back.
I called a tow truck to my mechanic.

Today he told me that my water pump is "loose" and caused the Timing belt problem.
My timebelt was NOT "broken". Just about 1/4 width is ripped. the TB is still in the same position and just stop working.

Mechanic told me that is a 50/50 chance that I have bent valve
Am I going to have bent valve with the TB is not "broken"? Do I need to rebuilt the engine or need to replace ?

Thank you very much.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Having the pump fail and tear up the belt is not good, you might have got lucky and not bent valves, but having the car die and not be able to restart suggests the timing has jumped. What you are going to have to do is put a new pump and belt on it, then turn it over by hand and see if any valves were bent (no other way to really tell without tearing it down). If it can be turned over you got off easy, if not it is time to tear it down. Good luck with it.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by David.Norton
Having the pump fail and tear up the belt is not good, you might have got lucky and not bent valves, but having the car die and not be able to restart suggests the timing has jumped. What you are going to have to do is put a new pump and belt on it, then turn it over by hand and see if any valves were bent (no other way to really tell without tearing it down). If it can be turned over you got off easy, if not it is time to tear it down. Good luck with it.
Thank you very much for the advising.
bent valve is the only thing I worry about. If there is no other way to check. then hope I have good news from mechanic.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xaviertkhh
Thank you very much for the advising.
bent valve is the only thing I worry about. If there is no other way to check. then hope I have good news from mechanic.

Any decent mechanic can do a leakdown test, instead of doing a compression test that could damage the motor further.

You manually turn the motor over by hand slowly and pressurize each cylinder thru the spark plug hole with compressed air. If the valves are bent when they are supposed to be closed at TDC air will leak out . The gauge pressure will be zero and you will hear air venting to the exhaust or inlet.

The tool is under $100 all you need is an air compressor.

Last edited by AudiMick; 09-12-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by xaviertkhh
Few days ago, when I am driving local with about 30mph.

Suddenly there is no power and rpm started dropping
I stopped the car aside and won't start back.
I called a tow truck to my mechanic.

Today he told me that my water pump is "loose" and caused the Timing belt problem.
My timebelt was NOT "broken". Just about 1/4 width is ripped. the TB is still in the same position and just stop working.

Mechanic told me that is a 50/50 chance that I have bent valve
Am I going to have bent valve with the TB is not "broken"? Do I need to rebuilt the engine or need to replace ?

Thank you very much.
If wp pulley loose on shaft or WP bearings gone, good chance you destroyed your valves and pistons...$6,000 damage,
probably time to junk the car...and send a note to audi for horrible design...WP failure on "zero clearance" engine = disaster failure mode...
Another good example of Audi's really ignorant engineers !!! who should be running some punch press for Toyota somewhere...or making german garbage trucks...
to maybe try to sell to the chinese..