A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi A4 B5 2001 2.8 Fuse #34 & ECM Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 B5 2001 2.8 Fuse #34 & ECM Problems

After going to check my fuses after buying a used 2001 B5 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, I noticed there were 2 broken fuses. A radio Fuse (radio is now removed going to be installing a double din after troubleshooting the car). and also Fuse #34 which is labeled as Engine Timing in the manual.. After replacing the fuse the car seems to sound worse. Later on, that fuse popped so while trying to troubleshoot; another fuse was inserted into the car. This time, The car stalled after a few seconds of running and there was a noticeable smell of burning coming from somewhere in the car which we later on discovered was the ECM. During the time the car was running my dad was in front of the car looking under the hood. he claims the cars peculiar sound was coming from the right-side area where the cam sensor/ 3 of the spark plugs are. After not being able to start my car without an ECM the new one finally came in the mail.. and after installing it, the car was able to run again. I was troubleshooting looking at wires around the car, and I let the car run with the fuse #34 in and the car's ECM blew again. (car runs fine w/ out fuse in except every so often for about 30sec to a min the car will make a strange noise that you can tell isn't right and, if i was driving it while its was making this noise itd act like it doesnt wanna accelerate lets say over 35 unless you like hold the pedal down way more than you should have to. (I assume from the fuse not being in..) but with the fuse in.. it will blow my ECM.? SO before I even get started on the loss of power issue I have to make sure my car is able to run with all fuses in their correct locations. Is there any locations you guys would recommend to look or test? or any advice? I don't even know exactly what this engine timing fuse #34 controls or does so if you do know I would appreciate you giving me a hand to fix this issue.. I am currently waiting for another ECM to come into the mail while I wait is there any wires you guys recommend checking? I already found a Tiny Vaccum looking hose that's broken and another that is completely disconnected? I assume these vacuum tubes are causing some kind of issue because I actually saw an EVAP code on the car but I don't think it has to do with the fuse #34 problem.(not sure what EVAP is i just assume this could be a possibility for its code) If anyone is here and wants to know the codes the car is reading as soon as I get the new ECM I will read the codes it gives off. sadly i cant do so at the moment because I am waiting for the ECM to arrive. in the meantime, I need to figure out what wires or anything that could possibly blow my ECM while the car is running with the fuse #34 in it? if you have anymore questions about the car please ask I really would like to fix this issue!

This is what the hose is connected to

This is the broken Vacuum tube
Old 07-05-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbry05
After going to check my fuses after buying a used 2001 B5 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, I noticed there were 2 broken fuses. A radio Fuse (radio is now removed going to be installing a double din after troubleshooting the car). and also Fuse #34 which is labeled as Engine Timing in the manual.. After replacing the fuse the car seems to sound worse. Later on, that fuse popped so while trying to troubleshoot; another fuse was inserted into the car. This time, The car stalled after a few seconds of running and there was a noticeable smell of burning coming from somewhere in the car which we later on discovered was the ECM. During the time the car was running my dad was in front of the car looking under the hood. he claims the cars peculiar sound was coming from the right-side area where the cam sensor/ 3 of the spark plugs are. After not being able to start my car without an ECM the new one finally came in the mail.. and after installing it, the car was able to run again. I was troubleshooting looking at wires around the car, and I let the car run with the fuse #34 in and the car's ECM blew again. (car runs fine w/ out fuse in except every so often for about 30sec to a min the car will make a strange noise that you can tell isn't right and, if i was driving it while its was making this noise itd act like it doesnt wanna accelerate lets say over 35 unless you like hold the pedal down way more than you should have to. (I assume from the fuse not being in..) but with the fuse in.. it will blow my ECM.? SO before I even get started on the loss of power issue I have to make sure my car is able to run with all fuses in their correct locations. Is there any locations you guys would recommend to look or test? or any advice? I don't even know exactly what this engine timing fuse #34 controls or does so if you do know I would appreciate you giving me a hand to fix this issue.. I am currently waiting for another ECM to come into the mail while I wait is there any wires you guys recommend checking? I already found a Tiny Vaccum looking hose that's broken and another that is completely disconnected? I assume these vacuum tubes are causing some kind of issue because I actually saw an EVAP code on the car but I don't think it has to do with the fuse #34 problem.(not sure what EVAP is i just assume this could be a possibility for its code) If anyone is here and wants to know the codes the car is reading as soon as I get the new ECM I will read the codes it gives off. sadly i cant do so at the moment because I am waiting for the ECM to arrive. in the meantime, I need to figure out what wires or anything that could possibly blow my ECM while the car is running with the fuse #34 in it? if you have anymore questions about the car please ask I really would like to fix this issue!

This is what the hose is connected to

This is the broken Vacuum tube
found a broken 02 wire post cat, just came in today with ecus, anybody need codes?