A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

audi extended warranty and apr stage3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi extended warranty and apr stage3?

would you drop $1800 on an additional 3years/100k miles if you had apr's stage3 installed?

items which should potentially be void under warranty would be:

/ drivetrain
/ engine

so that leaves all the electronic components and the rest of the car .. cluster, radio, ac, windows .. etc etc.

anyone here have the same thoughts?
Old 05-05-2002, 01:58 PM

Default I wouldn't see a problem with it...the only thing that voids the warranty is if they can prove the..

accident was caused by the apr chip...or any other part you've replaced.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:21 PM

Default Sounds so simple, but is it?

You: somethings wrong with my car
Dealer: the APR chip caused it. warranty is void
You: Prove it was the chip.
Dealer: In court? We have a lawyer. Do you?

Even if you have a lawyer, is it worth it? What if you lose? $6K for a new engine + lawyers fee.

Personally, I'd look into a 3rd party warranty. Audi will do anything to save their ***, but if you have a 3rd party warranty, you can go to any mechanic to fix your car. If this mechanic is cool, he might not tell them you have a stage 3.
Downside is that it will cost twice as much and you'll have to worry about the company being a possible scam.

I'm looking into a 3rd party warranty through my credit union. $2700!! I'm ineligible to go through Audi.
Old 05-05-2002, 03:41 PM

Default I would not. Stage 3 is not like a chip you can swap out in the event of probs.

If you play, be prepared to pay.
Old 05-05-2002, 04:06 PM

Default Hell no.

My car has Stage III, when I bought it from Ed Palisoc we did it through his dealer, Jim Ellis in Atlanta. THey tried hard to sell me the warranty. I told them no, because I knew they wouldn't work on the aftermarket stuff, which the car was loaded with. They said they'd 'take care of me'. Riiiiight...Well, a few months down the road I have a suspension problem, I have the car towed to Jim Ellis, and wouldn't you know it, they wouldn't even look at the car because of the mods! Bunch of ******, I wasn't even asking for warranty work.
Old 05-05-2002, 06:37 PM

Default guys .. i'm not talking about drivetrain/engine/suspension related problems.

i KNOW they won't cover it and i DON'T expect them to.

what if my instrument cluster dies? what if all 4 power windows stop working? what if my whole electrical system shorts out(hehe)? dont you guys worry about stuff like that? oe parts are NOT cheap as everyone knows.

i havent swapped out my chip since the 5k mile service interval. the dealer i go to deals with FAR more heavily modified cars than mine. chip, exhaust, boost gauge/turbo timer, coilovers, short shifter, cone intake.. etc .. it's obvious i'm modded.

this is what they did at my 45k service .. they replaced all my brakes(stock). they popped in a new gear box .. and on the 40k service they popped in a new clutch. do they know i'm modded? of course. did i request to have those parts replaced? nope. the service managers there are unbelievable.

well .. i'm less than 2months away from end of warranty so this is weighing heavily on my mind.

does ANYONE have extended warranty(audi, 3rd party) on their somewhat heavily modified cars?
Old 05-05-2002, 06:44 PM

Default Well, just be careful and read the fine print

I've been reading posts here lately about fine print in contracts from extended warranty companies - fine print which essentially voids the warranty completely if the car has been modified. Good luck.

P.S. My plan for out of warranty: Buy a new car! =)