A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

avant IS different from sedan

Old 07-14-1999, 01:07 PM
Dan Simoes

Default avant IS different from sedan

Check this out from www.edmunds.com:<p>Sedan:<br>3.7 axle ratio; stainless steel exhaust; front independent suspension with anti-roll bar, front coil springs, rear<br>non-independent torsion suspension with anti-roll bar, rear coil springs; <p>Avant:<br>Full-time 4 wheel drive, 3.89 axle ratio; rear independent double wishbone<br>suspension with anti-roll bar, rear coil springs; 15.9 gal capacity fuel tank; roof rack; integrated roof antenna; fixed 1/4 vent windows; fixed interval rear wiper; center pass-thru armrest<br>with skibag and cargo cover. <p>Ok, so what does this mean? The Avant has a different rear axle ratio. It definitely has a different rear suspension (hence my question about the aftermarket stuff available for the avant).<br>Slightly smaller gas tank, rear wiper. roof rack are all avant specific.<br>Integrated antenna - does that mean the sedan's is not integrated? Odd.<p>None of this means a whole lot right now, but in 4 years when people start to look for shock and spring upgrades on the avants, I bet they will be harder to find than on the sedans.<br>On the other hand, I predict the avant will hold its value a lot better than the sedan.<p>| Dan |<br><ul><li><a href="http://www.audifans.com">audifans.com</a></li></ul>
Old 07-14-1999, 01:29 PM
T2

Default it's a quattro vs. FWD thing...

The sedan they're referring to is front wheel drive. The avant comes standard with quattro. I'm pretty sure things are the same for the quattro sedan as they are for the avant.<p>Tom<br>1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 07-14-1999, 01:29 PM
neilm

Default Re: Avant IS different from sedan

Looks like you are compareing a quattro Avant with a Frontrack Sedan. The suspension is the same on both quattro models.<p>NeilM
Old 07-14-1999, 01:37 PM
DaveN

I not certain but I think you are comparing a front drive seden to a Quattro Avant.
Old 07-14-1999, 02:48 PM
Steve S.

Default It is the same

Dan, I installed some aftermarket sway bars on my A4 Quattro sedan...and on a A4 Avant Quattro. The rear suspension looked identical to me. <p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM