A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

B5 30v Vacuum Line Replacement DIY with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B5 30v Vacuum Line Replacement DIY with Pics

So the time had come to do my vacuum lines.
I couldn't find any DIYs on this, even though it is an easy job I still figured some people might find some use for this.

What you'll need:

-3mm in diameter vacuum hose, about 6ft of it (should only be like $5-10)
ECS also had a pretty good kit vacuum line kit on sale for 90% off that had extra 'T' fittings and clamps.
I would recommend picking it up just to have the extra pieces around.
-Exact-O Knife to cut hose
-Small screwdriver
-10mm socket
-35 Torx
-6inch extension for torx bit
-Beer, and patience.

Lets begin.

First, go out to your car,

Then open your hood and remove your engine cover by turning those four screws (if you cant find a huge screwdriver for those your key works perfectly!)

Heres what we'll be replacing. Luckily, if this is your first time replacing these they are all color coded and easy to trace. Look around your engine bay before you tear in and get familiar with where all your lines are.

The most important thing to remember is to do your lines one at a time so you don't lose your place.
A good technique to use on the smaller lines is to use your Exact-O knife to slit the top of the line. After you do this the line will pull of very easily.

Once pulled off and measured, cut the length you need from your coil of new vacuum line.

Firmly press on the new vacuum line from where you removed the old one.
All of the top smaller lines are simple to do, just do it one at a time.
Once we get to the bigger lines we need to start using a little trick though.
If you got the kit from ECS you will have extra hose joints (nub coming out of green hose in first pic below). These are the easiest to use but I'm sure you can get creative (duct tape, ect...)
Attach the new hose to the old hose and weave it through (second picture below).
This is cool to do because as you're removing the old hose you're actually positioning the new hose!

Now celebrate your success on the lines you've done.
Gloat over the simple task you're preforming and drink seasonal ale, its time for the home stretch.
The next part will require you to remove the three (3) bolts you see in the first picture below.
Grab a 10mm socket to remove those.
The reason we have to take it off is because there is a 'T' fitting underneath (second picture below).

Use your same weave technique to do those two lines. It's a tight fit, these ones probably take the longest. It is possible though, even with really big hands (I actually ended up using some needle nose pliers to help me out as well).

Celebrate success again. Put the bolts back on.

There is only one last random line to do.
It is behind your drivers side headlight coming off of the blue snowman looking thing.

If you take off the headlight your life will be easier, I promise.
Grab 35 torx and remove the three (3) bolts that hold your headlight on.
Two in front, one is behind the headlight and down the hole. Use you extension to get that (second pic)!

From there just unhook your headlight, remove and replace the line, reassemble and you're all set.

Double check that all of your hoses are reconnected before you put your engine cover back on, take your tools out of your engine bay, clean up, and have another beer because cheap maintenance rocks! [wrench][drive]

Hope this will be of some use to ya'll.
Maybe it'll even get bumped to the DIY section eh?

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
Badboyphoto (05-05-2022)
Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nice DIY

Good stuff Driveeurolive. It's always a nice bonus when a write-up has pics . One little question, once you remove the three bolts to get at the "T" under there, how much are you able to lift that piece with all the connections on top of it? Is there enough room for a hand or is it just enough to get a finger or two in?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Excellent! I'll add this to the tech section! =)
Old 11-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Kris!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Good stuff Driveeurolive. It's always a nice bonus when a write-up has pics . One little question, once you remove the three bolts to get at the "T" under there, how much are you able to lift that piece with all the connections on top of it? Is there enough room for a hand or is it just enough to get a finger or two in?

Thanks

I had to remove one line from the 'Y' piece on top to get room. Once that was done I could pretty much completely lift it up like a flap and fit my hands in there. I was in the zone and forgot to take pictures of that process. lol