A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is it better to have love and lost than to have never loved at all?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 07:30 PM
trifona

Default Is it better to have love and lost than to have never loved at all?

APR Version 3.0 ECU had to be removed tonight, much to my chagrin...

For those that remember....a few months ago i had a situation going up a bridge where the clutch started slipping in 4th & 5th. I took it into the dealer [with the stock ECU] and everything was found to be normal. It never happened again...not a peep. till now.

I noticed a lttle twitch last night on the highway after downshifting into 4th...wasnt sure if it was anything or not and just decided to take it easy until i got home.

Took her out tonight and had the clutch easily slip in 3rd, 4th, and 5th when >3000rpms first under WOT, tand then rather easily with only moderate throttle applied.

Put the stock ECU back in after this fiasco...noticed a little bit of clutch smell too after opening the hood.

With the stock 150 ft lbs of torque, clutch is performing like a champ, with APR's 245...im up ****'s creek. I know my dealer will replace (1) clutch under warranty, but until symptoms begin to arise with the stock ECU, its a moot point.

I could drive around with the modded ECU to make it worse to the point of accelerating wear, but i really dont want to go that route.

For disclosure, i did learn to drive the manual on this car, which i surmise is THE factor for the premature wear. Add an additional 90 ft lbs...and you can see why i have this problem. I know i was pretty rough on it for the first week or so, and remembering at least twice where i induced that nasty smell. I also gave my GF 3 lessons as well, which couldnt have helped the part.

Like i said, the car runs great with the stock ECU installed....talk about a bitch of a catch-22.

Even if i was rough on the clutch for a week while adjusting to a manual, i still find it hard to believe that my clutch cant handle a modded chip's torque after only 16,000 miles.

Although i could pay for a new clutch myself right now...id rather not. I cant really justify it as long as the car is running flawlessly stock. After the whole fiasco with the the exhaust hose/turbo at my dealer...i can only imagine my service mgr's face if/when i ask him to replace the clutch

"You're missing your 5th screw.....I told you about those chips boy!"

On the lighter side...

Another successful order from Clair Parts Express. Odered Weathertek Winter mats & the Mercedes OEM Cargo Net on 1/4, recived them on 1/7. The mats fit well and look good, The Cargo net is great, and holds things down really tight.

trifona
'99.5 1.8tqms
(APR snuggly tucked away underneath the new cargo net...sigh)

After 6 weeks of dealer hell...i knew it was too good to last
Old 01-10-2000, 07:51 PM
Peter

Default I can certainly relate

My GIAC ECU is temporarily out of my car (well actually it's in the trunk -- only out of the engine bay), after one incident of a bad socket.

The socket has been replaced, but I don't feel comfortable driving on NYC roads knowing that my car can stall at any time.
I'm going to have the chip soldered onto the circuit board. But I'm going to drive the car with GIAC chip upstate this weekend to see what happens.

By the way, Trifona, it is indeed better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all.

Good luck. Hope everything works out for you!
Peter
98.5 1.8tqms
Old 01-11-2000, 04:56 AM
ChuckS

This is a super post, thanks for the information.
Old 01-11-2000, 07:50 AM
WJM

Default I believe wear & tear on the clutch isn't included in the warranty...

I feel for you, but according to my very thorough salesman, clutch wear & tear is NOT included in the Audi 3-yr/50k mi. warranty or service contract. He told me flat out: "If the clutch explodes and destroys itself, it is covered. If the clutch just wears out, you are out of luck." This was just a part of the dissertation I got during the 3+ hour speech and complete walk-through of my A4, including everything from warranty/service questions/suggestions to the kind of chip he has in his A4, to the kind of winter tires he likes.

In any event, if Audi won't cover your clutch, then you obviously shouldn't pay them to install a new one. Go for an aftermarket clutch that can handle the extra power!

Good Luck!

WillM
2000 A4 1.8TQMSS
Old 01-11-2000, 07:58 AM
trifona

Thanks....This was a dealer "perk" though. Redeemable once upto 50k miles
Old 01-11-2000, 08:04 AM
Cris

My dealer told me @ delivery... if I burn the clutch,...they will replace it under warranty. nt
Old 01-11-2000, 08:37 AM
Ed

Default Questions...

So can you let us in on what he said about <i>the kind of chip he has in his A4, to the kind of winter tires he likes.</i> ?

Ed
99.5 1.8TQMS
Old 01-11-2000, 08:45 AM
RichD

Quoting my dealer..."The only thing not covered, is tires."
Old 01-11-2000, 11:05 AM
Peter Brennan

Default I have the exact same problem-still not sure how to resolve?

Will advise if and when I find an answer to this set-back.

Peter
Old 01-11-2000, 04:07 PM
Wildo

Default Dealer "perk" sounds more like it. Like I said, my delivery was very thorough...

...and my salesman emphasized that during the warranty period, Audi covers anything if it fails including the clutch and excluding the tires (as they are warrantied by Dunlop). However, normal wear and tear on the clutch or tires is NOT covered. Very clear.

Just passing on what I know from MY dealer and MY experience. Anyone who thinks otherwise might be better off to contact their dealership and make certain! Then again I'm not worried, I've put 180k miles on my Jetta's clutch and 80k miles on my Miata's clutch without ever replacing them...YMMV. I might worry after I chip though! :^)

Good luck!

- WillM
2000 A4 1.8TQMSS

Quick Reply: Is it better to have love and lost than to have never loved at all?