A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

blower motor/relay/switch??

Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, followed thread and swapped out 385 relay, still nothing...
Blower motor works when hard-wired, brushes look good and during the solar option the blower unit runs but not for AC or heat or defrost, fuses good (30a and 10a)(Ohm'd out), relay replaced... Anyone got an idea of what else it could be before i have to resort to the dealer fixing it?

Originally Posted by ash1322
(i know this is old thread, hopefully someone reads, its 107 degrees today, uggh)

ok, My A/c has now stopped working, as well... fuses good both 30a and 10a, vdc power @ motor... pulled blower checked the power and voltage is present at motor. Checked the stator brushes, still some meat left on them. When the car is Off the blower works from the solar panel on roof, but as soon as a turn the key on, the blower stops and will not work in any function H or C... could this be that solar relay switch?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you

The blower motor is located behind the glove box, 3 screws on the top and 2 on the bottom, and the whole assy drops to show the blower motor, there are 3 bolt/screws on the blower motor. As far as the other issue, the head unit cant help there, but is you have the solar panel option there is a relay numbered 385, in the top left corner of the relay block on the driver's side firewall, to access will need to drop the cover just like to access the blower motor, there are two screw under the little cover above the steering wheel, two on the bottom and there is one on the side accessed by removing the fuse panel cover. and the whole thing moves out of the way to show the firewall. Hope this helps, (didnt help me, my issue is still there and it is getting to to point of dealer intervention)
Thank you, I will try this and see if it works.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok, followed thread and swapped out 385 relay, still nothing...
Blower motor works when hard-wired, brushes look good and during the solar option the blower unit runs but not for AC or heat or defrost, fuses good (30a and 10a)(Ohm'd out), relay replaced... Anyone got an idea of what else it could be before i have to resort to the dealer fixing it?
FINAL FIX...UPDATE.... Next to the blower motor is a thermal resistor, p/n 4B0 820 521 which was the cause, took a closer look at it and visually pin# 3 was black and the connector looks like it had some major heat, found the insulation melted, ohm meter across pins 2&3 on resistor and it was open...
Old 07-31-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just wanted to let you know that my issue was the blower motor. There was a rough spot on it that was keeping it from functioning. I replaced and now the air is working wonderful. Thank You again for all your help.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hy I have a audi a8 2000 I got a problem with the blower because when I turn the ac no works only works with a solar roof . Some people say is a resistor or the blower motor .how can I check if the motor blower o resistor is in good conditions
Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2004 A8L with the solar sunroof and gimp AC. I currently have the car in pieces trying to find the relay so I can order a fresh one. I see a few under the wheel, but none with the right number and I haven't seen another panel online that looks like mine. I have 2 rows of relays. Maybe it's different with massaging seats...? I also found an iSimple iPod connecter thinger bundled up under there along with a switch wired in all stupid (looks like it constantly had power, and the switch controls its own internal light and doesn't affect the circuit...?), so I'm nervous the wiring is messed up. Could someone please send me some images of what you found under the wheel? This is my first summer with her, so first I noticed the problem, but the on/off button on the head unit looks fairly abused, so I'm guessing it had cut in and out for a while and the 'tard before me decided hitting it harder with metal objects might make it work.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help!!

Originally Posted by dorsal900
Auto Climate Control (ACC) setup does not use a "switch" or a relay to control the fan; instead, it is controlled by a large transistor that is controlled by the ACC head unit.

To test the motor, put the ACC controls in a position where it should be blowing. Measure voltage between the two wires that attach to the blower motor: if there is voltage (i.e. ~5 - 12V) there and the fan isn't blowing, it's dead.

So I just noticed my blower is staying on after car is off in 2000 a6. Never new i had a solar sunroof until I unplugged the battery and the damn thing was still on. Kinda freaked me out. What would be causing blower to stay on? Also what is point of the solar sunroof? Does it help with fuel efficiency or anything?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tommyd291
Can you please send me pics on how to do that?/? To heanto@aol.com
can u please send me picture Fd.napolitano@gmail.com
Old 01-21-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Pictures

Originally Posted by a6fletch
I just went through this my self and have fixed the problem. Mine at least. This was all very easy to DIY. The heat and A/C were not working at all. I could hear the A/C compressor turn on as well as see the idle RPMs adjust as it kicked on. So I knew that the compressor was not the problem. If you have the Solar power sunroof (hot weather package), I'll bet your problem is the same as mine. It was the Solar relay switch. (Called around to two Audi dealers in town and they both had it listed under different names, "Solar relay switch" and "sunroof control module". $70. Took off the under dash on the driver side. Five screws i think and had to pop off the little part above the steering wheel. Pulled out a Fuse like box that was clearly marked 385 in big white numbers. This is what you want to replace. Really easy and cheap. If you email me. i'll send photos.
can u pls send me the pictures Fd.napolitano@gmail.com
Old 01-22-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That offer for photos was 7/1/09 from a prior member. I do not believe that person is active on this site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blower motor/relay/switch??