A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Breather Vacuum Hose Check Valve???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather Vacuum Hose Check Valve???

Hi!

First off, I am new to this forum and a first time Audi owner. It is a 2001 A4 1.8T

I received the car as a gift and I know work was done to it so that it would be suitable for my daily commute. Overall, I really like the car but some problems have arisen.

I am having two issues:

1- trouble starting when engine is cold but runs smoothly after started
2- check engine light is on due to misfiring (can't recall which cylinders)

Initially, the car started having trouble starting up cold but once running there were no issues. Once warm, or having been started recently, it will start up on the first try. I googled my *** off and decided to try putting in a new coolant temperature sensor just yesterday. This morning it started up just fine on the first try. However, prior to this fix, I put in a new crank sensor, which also seemed to fix the problem but a few days later, the same issue began. So I will see what happens and provide an update.

I also noticed a part that was broken and held together by a clamp but was coming loose. After much googling, of course, it is apparently a "breather vacuum hose check valve." But I can't really get to the bottom of it and I am wondering if this is causing any of the aforementioned problems. Additionally, there is a screw that is blocking one of the valves which seems like it is supposed to lead to somewhere. I know the heater was taken out. Could this be where it was supposed to go? Eventually, I'd like to replace this part. Anyway, I've included a picture of the part for you to take a look at. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Although nobody has responded, I do have some updates.

I just took it into a shop today and replaced the coil that was misfiring. Also, apparently the clip on the ect sensor was missing and they replaced that as well. The vacuum hose valve didn't seem to be of any concern to them considering it wasn't leaking. They also diagnosed an air-temp sensor issue so this could be my next move because...

After a few hours passed from bringing it home from the shop, I still had a cold-start problem!!!

Another couple Benjamins later (it was either that or pay 90 for the diagnostics and just fix it myself) and I still haven't figured it out! Somebody please help!!!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I am one of the people who reads this forum daily but, fortunately, has not had many problems. So not a lot of experience fixing. Just remembering others people's problems. That said, I would question your fuel delivery. There is a valve that holds fuel pressure when the vehicle is off. Could it be leaking down, thus making a cold start difficult? Similarly, a leaky injector(s)? If you turn the key to on but not engage the starter can you hear the fuel pump run for a second or three? Has your fuel pump ever been replaced? I would search these issues.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by clancy
I am one of the people who reads this forum daily but, fortunately, has not had many problems. So not a lot of experience fixing. Just remembering others people's problems. That said, I would question your fuel delivery. There is a valve that holds fuel pressure when the vehicle is off. Could it be leaking down, thus making a cold start difficult? Similarly, a leaky injector(s)? If you turn the key to on but not engage the starter can you hear the fuel pump run for a second or three? Has your fuel pump ever been replaced? I would search these issues.
I do believe my fuel pump has been replaced but I could be wrong. The only fluid I have found leaking to the ground is coolant. Would this mean there aren't any other possible leaks? I'm going to be replacing the intake air temp sensor today and if that doesn't solve the problem I will explore any fuel delivery issues. Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you every find the problem? I’m experiencing the same issues. Decovered an hose going to my EGR valve is broken, air and fumes are going into the engine bay. Unsure if that’s what would be preventing the car from starting though, I feel like there is more than one issue. It’s very cold here -20 Celsius. It only does doesn’t start when engine is cold, but then runs very smooth.