A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

California Drivers...Speeding Ticket Prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-1999, 04:17 PM
James R.

Default California Drivers...Speeding Ticket Prices

Last night I got pop'd doing 80 in a 65 on the 118 East near Simi Valley. I was going with the flow of traffic, but alas I guess my car was too irresistible for this CHP officer to pass up...apparently so was a car slightly ahead of me.

Both of us were pulled over and ticketed..I couldn't clearly see the other car so I don't know what make it was. The CHP unit was between me and the car in front...two for the price of one I guess.

Anyhow I'm not disputing the charge that I was speeding...I'm pretty certain I was...even though the traffic was moving at 80 it's irrelevant in the eyes of the law.

I'd just like to get an idea of how much this is going to cost me $$$ and whether or not I can go to traffic school to erase the points. It's been about 5 years since I received a speeding ticket, I was able to go to traffic school for that but it was a ticket for doing 45 in a 35 which is only 10 over where this one is written for 15 over. The only positive note is he didn’t write me for the front license plate...but he did mention it...so I wonder if it's not on the ticket but is in the computer???

Thanks,

James R.

99 1.8TMS (Brembo Rotors, Mintex Red Box, Bilstein Shocks, Neuspeed Sport Springs and Front Anti Sway Bar, Neuspeed K-04 @ 1 Bar, K&N Filter, Remus Exhaust, Ronal R-28's 17" x 8.5", Euro Corners + Markers...tint all the way around and probably some other stuff I've missed.)
Old 09-19-1999, 04:35 PM
tk2x

Default Re: California Drivers...Speeding Ticket Prices

Since you have not taken traffic school within the last 18 months, you are probably eligible. It will count towards your insurance but you will not lose your good driver discount if there are no other points in the last few years. As for the front plate, if there is no ticket..it is not in the computer.
Old 09-19-1999, 04:39 PM
James R.

I thought if you took traffic school they wouldn't put the points on your record...or at least not the record that the Insurance company has access to? That's the whole point of going to traffic school right?

Thanks,

James R.

Last night I got pop'd doing 80 in a 65 on the 118 East near Simi Valley. I was going with the flow of traffic, but alas I guess my car was too irresistible for this CHP officer to pass up...apparently so was a car slightly ahead of me.

Both of us were pulled over and ticketed..I couldn't clearly see the other car so I don't know what make it was. The CHP unit was between me and the car in front...two for the price of one I guess.

Anyhow I'm not disputing the charge that I was speeding...I'm pretty certain I was...even though the traffic was moving at 80 it's irrelevant in the eyes of the law.

I'd just like to get an idea of how much this is going to cost me $$$ and whether or not I can go to traffic school to erase the points. It's been about 5 years since I received a speeding ticket, I was able to go to traffic school for that but it was a ticket for doing 45 in a 35 which is only 10 over where this one is written for 15 over. The only positive note is he didn’t write me for the front license plate...but he did mention it...so I wonder if it's not on the ticket but is in the computer???

Thanks,

James R.

99 1.8TMS (Brembo Rotors, Mintex Red Box, Bilstein Shocks, Neuspeed Sport Springs and Front Anti Sway Bar, Neuspeed K-04 @ 1 Bar, K&N Filter, Remus Exhaust, Ronal R-28's 17" x 8.5", Euro Corners + Markers...tint all the way around and probably some other stuff I've missed.)
Old 09-19-1999, 04:41 PM
mness

Yeah, you're probably eligible for traffic school - I think it'll say so when you get the notice from the CHP on your fine. I had a ticket for, I think it was 79 in 55, about 6 months ago. If you do traffic school the ticket does NOT get seen by your insurance (well worth any fine). My fine was $125. Plus $35 to the court for traffic school, plus $30 to www.ticketerasers.com for the actual online traffic school course.
Definitely do an online traffic school - takes MUCH less of your valuable time than sitting in a classroom for a day. I recommend www.ticketerasers.com - I can tell you how to zip through the course & test very quickly.
Old 09-19-1999, 04:56 PM
James R.

Default Sweet thanks man this sounds like the Ticket..pardon the pun...(more)

It's a real bummer this ticket has broken my spirit. I just finished my K-04 install about a week ago..I was safely having so much fun, now I've gotta drive with the cruise set to 65 cause the car is just too easy to speed with...guess I gotta get the lead taken outta my right foot.

James R.

Old 09-20-1999, 06:49 AM
Kevin

Did the officer mention the tint on the front windows?
Old 09-20-1999, 08:34 AM
SK

Yes, my understanding is that the violation does not show up in reports to Insurance companies. Obviously, it is tracked by the DMV to prevent you from going to traffic school more often than every 18 months.