A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

S4 Fog Lights on a 1998 A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Fog Lights on a 1998 A4

Ive got a 1998 A4 1.8T with S4 front Bumper. Anyone know if the S4 fog lights that came with the salvage bumper can be wired in to my Blank switch on my dash as my car doesnt have any front fogs only rear foglights. I want them so I can just push the button on the dash for them to come on!.

Any help would be appreciated guys!

Cheers

Lee(UK)
Old 01-19-2004, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wiring is the easy part!

You may have to splice a few wires. But as long as you have a point to mount the lamps, they can certainly work off your dash switch.

I also have a 1998 car, and when I upgraded to E-code headlamps, I lost the integrated fogs. So I installed aftermarket fogs in the bumper and wired them to the dash switch.

HOWEVER, if you still have the original headlights (with the integrated fogs) you should use one set or the other. The factory wiring is not heavy enough to drive two sets of foglights.

Oh wait -- you're in the UK. You probably already have E-code headlamps! :-)

Cheers,
Peter
Old 01-20-2004, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wiring is the easy part!

Thanks Pete. Yeah I have got the E-Code lights. At the minute the front fogs are mounted but are just there for show, So I thought its time to get them wired up. A local Autoelectrician said he would have to drill into my dash and install an aftermarket switch which put me off so I thought I would check with you guys. Would I have to put my own fuser unit in or can i wire them up to the cars fuser unit.

Cheers

Lee
Old 01-21-2004, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I don't actually know the differences between the US & UK models

My 1998 car had foglights integrated into the headlights, so the wiring harness to the headlights contained an extra hot lead for the fogs (and they used the same ground).

When I ditched the original headlamps and installed aftermarket fogs, it was a simple matter to splice into the wiring harness (hot & ground) and extend the wires down to the new foglights.

If your car originally had foglights, then you can do the same. Otherwise you have to run new wires.

Don't go to an electrician. Go to a car accessories place instead -- they do this sort of thing more often.

Also, make sure that your foglights are not too much wattage, otherwise you might have to install relays. Check out Daniel Stern Lighting in the tech section for more info.

-- Peter