A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

CarComp VW Tool Information (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-1998, 06:12 PM
Paul Zak

Default CarComp VW Tool Information (long)

I received my VWTool on Saturday and it is great! The software loaded easily, the instructions are clear and helpful and the cable even comes in it's own little pouch which stores in the instruction binder. The pages of the manual are in plastic for those of us who have dirty hands when we work on our cars.<p>I had some slight excitement when I first attempted to speak to my radio. The radio locked up in a diagnostic mode and I had to pull the fuse and enter the security lock code to get it working again, but John responded very quickly by e-mail to my request for help. <p>It is very important to understand that you must have access to the Dyment/Audi factory manual if you have any hopes of figuring out anything but the most basic information. It is also possible to seriously screw things up if you don't take this tool seriously.<p>Not all cars have all the modules that the tool can work with. Mine is a '98 A4 5speed 2.8 Quattro with a sport suspension.<p>I can see the following controllers and coding:<p>Engine 06201<br>Brake Quattro D31<br>Airbag 00104<br>Radio 00117 (Concert with CD & Bose)<br>Interior Monitor 00101<br>Central Locking 16140<br>Instrument 06262<br>AC Heating 04162<p>There are buttons for other controllers, but my car only has the above 8.<p>The VWTool is also capable of adjusting, what are known as, adaptation codes. Resetting of the service reminders is set here as well as from the dash, if you like, although when you have access to the adaptation codes, you can change the service intervals. I will probably be reducing mine to something less than 7500 miles between oil changes.<p>Unfortunately, not everything is published in the Audi manuals. DTCs are published for most, but not all of the controllers (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). Only a few adaptation codes are listed, although I am guessing that there must be more. Hopefully someone on the A4 board will stumble across this information and make it available.<p>I have also been told that some of this information is just not published and is only available on an as needed basis from Audi tech support. I guess I can believe this. One could be dangerous.<p>Thankfully folks like John Stahmann have filled in some of the gaps with their fine work. A4 FAQ: Coding the Control Module in the Audi A4. <p>Hopefully, in time, we will be able to get hold of all of the details.
Old 11-16-1998, 06:35 PM
Brad Bilut

Default Where did you get it from & how much?

(nt)
Old 11-18-1998, 04:13 PM
paul

www.carcomp.com $400