A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Catch can or no catch can, That is the question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch can or no catch can, That is the question!!!

Hello,

I need your opinion from people who have installed a catch can on their AWM 1.8t motor. I'm thinking of doing complete pcv system update and eliminate as much of the not important system like, the SAI, and other vacuum hoses to simplify all the engine bay. I like to install a catch can as i see oil in my intake tube.

Now the question is, catch can or not catch can? If catch can, vent to atmosphere or recirculating catch can back to the pancake valve? I can also not do catch and just replace the oil pcv valve and other hoses too? What you guys think? I live in the Northeast so it does get very cold here and that has to put into consideration if doing a catch can where the moisture inside the catch can can freeze and that will be no good.

Please let me know your opinion? If so, which setup I should go? I really like to do vent to atmosphere type of catch can set up.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just answered this elsewhere, taste the cut and paste goodness:

Boosted engines have much higher combustion pressures, resulting in more blow-by gasses, so they vent more crankcase pressure. That's when a catch can makes sense. But, if your factory turbo engine needs one, then either your rings are clapped out, valves are jacked, your PCV system is defective, your turbo's center section is leaking oil, or.. uhmmm... that's about it. Adding an "upgrade" that your engine doesn't need is not an upgrade. While shiny, it only transfers weight from your wallet to the car.

If oil is leaking like a sieve past your seals or if you are burning a lot of oil, first ensure the PCV valve is not gunked up, and stuck closed (leaking seals) or stuck partly open (burning oil). Remove it and wash the **** out of your stock PCV valve. Save your money. Aftermarket ones are worthless.

If your only concern is quarter mile times, then remove the PCV valve altogether...error codes be damned...and use a catch can(required - don't oil the track). You will be removing a miniscule pressure restriction on the crankcase side of the engine with a resulting minuscule - nearly undetectable - power increase, and might pick up a few thousandths of a second burning down the quarter mile. Walter Mitty moment ends here.

If you are just wondering how to throw money at the car without reason or understanding, then go for it.

(**Edit apparently I can't say wash the **** out of it, (human excrement), perhaps pump it from both ends with hot pulsating goodness (soapy water) until all its filthy innards fall out ***)
The following 2 users liked this post by BrianC72gt:
Di5tanc3 (07-22-2022), jayfrom86 (01-10-2024)