A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Check Engine smoke yikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-1998, 04:46 AM
Jagman

Default Check Engine smoke yikes

Was going through my favorite twisties this morning a little faster than usual (around 85 several lefts right lefts rights then you gotta get on the binders hard for the traffic circle). Didn't notice going over the rev limit but I was right on it. As I braked hard, check engine light came on. Going out of the circle engine started sputtering a bit. Check engline light went off then blinked on and off a couple of times. Had to blip it to keep in running for the next couple of lights to work. The miss was still there as I pulled into space and shut her down. I waited about 20 seconds, fired it back up - smoke billowing out the exhaust. Big white clouds... Someone please tell me something will reset when it cools down. (Running 1.0 Wett and Ram filter).<br>She just had her 20,000 miles check Friday, running synthetic oil since new.
Old 11-02-1998, 04:54 AM
donp

Default Re: Check Engine smoke yikes

White smoke like oil smoke or white smoke like coolant burning?<p>Check your oil for evidence of coolant and the coolant tank or evidence of oil. Coolant and oil mixed make stuff that looks like chocolate pudding. The fact you mention it's missing would lead me to suggest possible head gasket... but let's hope not!<p>
Old 11-02-1998, 06:14 AM
rmz

Default hmmm some things to check..

Well as donp was saying depending on the smoke.. white or grey it could be coolant (head gasket poped..detonation) or turbo is shot.. I guess if the turbo went south this may trip you O2 sensors and thus check engine light may trigger. 1st thing is to do a compression check and find out what is going on then examine the plugs on each cylinder (to find the evil one).. If you were knocking hard enough to blow a head gasket then you should see a sign on a plug... Hmmm.. I wish someone you make a thicker head gasket like they do for many of the japanese turbo engines (hks/trust etc etc).. If we could drop the compression of the A4 motor to around 8.9 - 8.7 range that would help alot on the detonation at high boost.... Hmmm..... oh well let us know what you find.. (beware the chip when you goto the dealer! if you need to that is)
Old 11-02-1998, 07:56 AM
Jagman

Default Whew, I think...

Well went out to see if anything was leaking, banging etc. all fluids were fine, nothing dripping, it started fine, didn't smoke this time, just check engine light stayed on. Shut it down and restarted, still has check engine light, but I can't hear anything bad mechanically, and the miss seems gone for the time being, of course it's dead cold now so won't know for sure. Hopefully I can search the Forum and find how to reset the check engine light so I won't have to swap my chips before taking it to the dealer. Keeping fingers crossed while typing....
Old 11-02-1998, 08:37 AM
rmz

Can you unplug the battery cable for a few hours to reset the factory computer?
Old 11-02-1998, 05:52 PM
randall

Default i had to go to dealer to get check engine turned off--not user resettable

don't disconnect your battery. bad idea.<br>there are 4 O2 sensors on V6 engine. 2 prior, and 2 post catalytic.<p>Dealer says even running low on gas can trigger these suckers.<p>But the smoke u describe sounds serious!!!<p>P.S. They will even know the speeed u were at when the light went off (i was only doing 135kph)<p><br>1996 a4 2.8 qms