A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

considering a 2000 A4 1.8t avant wagon, but not sure

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering a 2000 A4 1.8t avant wagon, but not sure

Hey everyone, I could use some advice, as I'm considering the purchase of my first audi. A 2000 A4 1.8t avant wagon.

I currently own a 2000 VW Golf gls 1.8t with high mileage and problems. I came across the Audi while searching used wagons, it has 121,000 miles, black w/tan interior, 5 speed manual, average to good condition overall, but needs abs module repair and a fan converter? Not sure what that is, but per the owner, it requires some kind of fan replacement, and said it was the fan for the catalytic converter? I was thinking it was simply the catalytic converter that needed replacement, but still unsure about that. Anyway, the ac doesn't work, there is a small tear in the driver's seat, and as the 3rd owner of the car they don't have maintenance records beyond 4-5 years ago, outside of carfax and autocheck (which i've done). They have not replaced the timing belt since owning the car. They put 2 new tires on it recently, wish it had been 4. Also, the bottom trim along the driver's side is loose and being held in place with tape. I know, it kind of sounds problematic right? But the car does not look half bad. They are very flex with price, which is the only reason I'm considering the car. I'm planning to offer them a relatively low price, slightly under market value and then have the work done at an independent shop, as I have a reliable VW/Audi mechanic that I've been using for several years.

Any thoughts on this, bad idea? I like the avant wagon 1.8t, if I understand correctly, basically the same engine in my vw, and I've had that car for 9 years so feel fairly confident with what I'd be up against. I recognize Audi's excellent reputation, but also understand the challenging costs that may accrue were this car to need serious work, within the next 6 months. I realize that VW is different than Audi, more complex perhaps even for the same year model and engine type, but do you suppose it's drastically more expensive, or just slightly? I always hear mixed feedback with Audi consumer reviews, people seem to either love them or hate them. I definitely worry about owning another 12 year old car with issues, but the lowish miles , wagon, and quattro would be nice added features. So I feel as though, if I can get it for a good price, have the work done at an affordable price, then seems like it could be a great car.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the check engine light on? If not, doe it work when you turn on the ignition, but before you start the car?

The A/C could be a huge problem. If it's the evaporator, it takes some 10-12 hrs of labour to take your dash apart and replace it. In which case you may want to replace the heater core as well, as those often get clogged with age and poor maintenance.

Door trim is a common problem, you can buy one for $80 or so, or all 4 from ECS Tuning at slight discount.

Catalytic converters are expensive on these ars. Luckily, the 1.8T only has one down pipe.

Ideally, get the car scanned at your mechanic to see what codes it's throwing.

Since you'll need to do the timing belt, and potentially a huge job with the A/C, don't offer just *slightly* below the market value. Knock down minimum $1500 off the market value, plus if it needs a cat, way more.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The check Engine light is on, as well as the ABS light. The check engine light is on because of a fuse, or something as mentioned by the owner. She said that when replaced the check engine light goes off, or something. A bit vague on my end, and yeah definitely getting the codes is the proper action.

I definitely want to have my mechanic take a close look at it. Unfortunately, the owner lives several hours away, which may pose a slight problem for getting my mechanic to inspect it.

The asking price is 3500, Edmunds true market value for the car in average condition is 2500. I was thinking of offering closer to trade in value, which is 2000. Is that too low do you think for this car? I suppose when I look at what people are asking for cars these days, be it Audi, VW, Volvo, it seems that sellers are asking unrealistic prices. Not necessarily dealers, but private sellers. I know when I sell my VW, I don't expect to get much for it, given the model year, miles and issues. I want to be fair to the seller, and to myself.

Thanks GTA driver, appreciate the info
Old 07-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Having run into this before I think "fan for the catalytic converter" is the air pump. I had someone describe that exact same problem on a Volvo before... they use roughly the same pump, in fact. The pumps are not cheap, but often available used at reasonable money - at least for the Audi. The Volvo installation is redonkulous, and used ones are all bad.

If it's been needed for a long time there could be damage to the cat, but you should be able to pull the codes and determine whether it's just a fault for the pump or a fault for the pump and something like low cat efficiency (in which case you might need a cat, too).

Between the AC and the timing belt, you've got a lot of money committed already. If you're doing the work yourself that's one thing, but paying someone to do it requires a substantial outlay of cash. I'm with GTA_Driver - there is a solid $1500 worth of work needed on this car no matter how you slice it. I think the fact they put two tires on an AWD car speaks volumes about their ideas of "maintenance," which doesn't bode well for the future.

IMHO, At $1500-$2000 you've taken a small risk, but are probably financially defensible. Frankly, though, I think for $3500 or $4000 you could find a better car with a better maintenance history. IME, When you're paying someone to do the work, there's a small margin of error before you're throwing good money after bad.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah I think you and GTA_Driver are both right on the money, no pun intended. As well, I've been poking around for other options. I wouldn't be doing the work myself, have a good mechanic, but still I don't want my car living there so will push forth and hopefully discover a solid gem out there.

Thanks info, very helpful!!