A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Constantly "ding" worried at car parks - turns out my girlfiend is the unpredictable one! (long sob story)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-1998, 07:45 AM
chrisd

Default Constantly "ding" worried at car parks - turns out my girlfiend is the unpredictable one! (long sob story)

I am ready to kill during the ritual of looking at the fine lines of my car following any time in parking lot. Should I find a ding, I don't know what I'll do. <p>So like most of you, i park quite far away, in spaces that have mentally calculated to have low ding-risk characteristics. <p>Turns out, all my efforts are moot when I throw my gf in the car. After countless times I have cautioned my girlfriend following slight, unremarkable "nudges" against the wall of my garage, I finally reasoned, "I'll just make her get out before entering the garage". Problem solved.<p>However, saturday morning, were out shopping for furniture, I bring the Avant for the space (something i rarely consider), I gingerly park in a "very, low risk spot" with only the drivers side exposed to those car door militants, and low and behold, my gf swings her door open, "thud", she gasps, I launch out to look and sure enough, a nice ding is inflicted by a steel pole/barrier in the "what do you call that thin strip that protects the doors". My gf is crying ... I have not said a word yet... she sulks away as I revel in misery. ( I remained calm, never saying a word, just powting)<p>Later that night she tells me she hates my car, and that it is going to break us up. I thought, for a split second, that she may be right. But accidents happen.<p>Its so painful- can't get over it. I must get it fixed immediately. Anyone know the replacement expense is for that "thin door protective strip".<p>Sorry for powting but I had to get it off my chest.<p>98.5 Pearl Avant QMS with a slight ding in passenger door protective strip and a whole lot of aniety.
Old 10-26-1998, 08:10 AM
Albert

Which do you love more? GF or Avante? Which costs you more, GF or Avante?
Old 10-26-1998, 08:31 AM
RobS

Default Hang in there, It took me awhile.......

The wife and I had quite a few battles when we first got the A4. First, I could not for the life of me get her to stop using Dawn dishwashing soap to wash the car. After we waxed it twice after a couple of her washings she stopped doing it. Then, we went through the wheel cleaning. Several weeks of explaining why not to use wheel cleaner and NOT to use the same washe mitt for the wheels and car. The one that about put us over the edge was, closing the trunk with keys in hand. I don't know how many of you have looked, but if you look right above the center of the trunk you will immediately know if this is being done. On a good note, now that all that is behind us, my wife takes care of the car as well if not better than I. So there is hope, just be patient and explain.
Old 10-26-1998, 08:41 AM
chrisd

Default I have asked myself those questions many times.. gf is more important, but between the car and everything else, she costs a mint. I jsut wish she cared as much about m avant as she did the kitchen floor.

:+(
Old 10-26-1998, 08:49 AM
Albert

Just got mine 2 days ago. My gf emailed me &quot;You love your A4 more than me don't you&quot;? So I will be seeing the same I guess.
Old 10-26-1998, 08:53 AM
chrisd

Is it that gf's and A4's are a volitle mix, or is that we the owners have better &quot;vision&quot; of how the A4 makes our lives more complete. ;+)
Old 10-26-1998, 08:54 AM
JimV

Default yup - same problem

Yeah, I get the same thing. I let her drive the car on occassion and I really wonder how much she (wife) is paying attention to where she parks.<p>1. dont park next to a coupe - big doors.<br>2. try to find a spot where only one side of the car is exposed.<br>3. try to park next to a car that is as nice or nicer than the A4.<br>4. Avoid cars with baby seats in back (people tend to lean into the back seat with their butt in their door pushing back into your car.<br>5. avoid banged up cars and cars with toys in the back - kids dont pay attention.<p>However, its hard to get her to follow those rules. Since its not their car and they dont have the same 'pay attention' characteristics that we have, they are more likely to inflict harm on the car.<p>She too is angered about how **** I am about the car but I think she is coming around because she notices all the disrespectful idiots around now too so she is getting more careful.<p>I feel for you though and I definitely know how it is.<br>good luck!
Old 10-26-1998, 09:13 AM
James

My G/F is fully supportive about my addiction to the A4. In fact, she's been urging me to get various mods on my car. She's even more careful than I when she drives it
Old 10-26-1998, 09:52 AM
Koushik

Get a g.f. who also has a new car; she'll be very careful around hers and yours !!!
Old 10-26-1998, 10:11 AM
Roy M

Default Another suggestion for ding free parking

I agreed with all the recommendations that you have given but I also look for a level or nose high spot. Gravity tend to keep the door next to you from falling full open. DO NOT park nose low or you are asking for a big ding!<br>I have often wondered why malls don't offer a PAY to PARK. Each spot would be a U shapped area and your car could not be bumped by another. I would gladdly pay to park in a secured area. <br>Why don't car makers have bumper strips that extend when you park the car. <br>Just a thought<br>Roy M 2.8q Tip (No dings yet in 9 months and 9,800 miles)

Quick Reply: Constantly "ding" worried at car parks - turns out my girlfiend is the unpredictable one! (long sob story)