A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Customer is bringing a 2.8 30V in tomorrow with starting issues and leaky upper oil pan gasket...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Customer is bringing a 2.8 30V in tomorrow with starting issues and leaky upper oil pan gasket...

The plan is to take tons of photos and do a write-up on the pan drop and re-seal as i could find very little info on it... other than "it's a bitch of a job".

Car is a '98 2.8 30V w/165K miles that I just did a timing belt and related on.

The other trouble is an odd one: The car will start and run great a few times, then the next time you go out (cold, at least that's the couple times it has done it) it will not turn over at all. Lights are bright, everything is fine... but no cranking what so ever. My first guess is to test the clutch switch, second would be power to the starter issues, if it's not getting power maybe key switch... hopefully it will be "doing it's thing" and I can test it. With my luck the car will have healed itself and tests will prove nothing!

Any other ideas of what to check?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the starting problem sounds like the ignition switch. there may be a recall on this.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default There are two pan gaskets - upper an lower

If the engine will not turn - lots of possibilities but switch should be first to look at, after that would be relays. Then I would look at the clutch switch
Old 01-25-2007, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks, I'll look into it. It just started doing this ----->

On Monday I cleaned the underside of the motor/car with my hot water pressure washer so I could verify where the oil leak(s) were/are... yes I was very careful not to spray anything I shouldn't, but water does get in places. the only real possible place is the starter solenoid I suppose. If I ended up soaking it and damaging anything ~~ YAY, I get to rebuild his starer on my dime.

I used a lot of citrus degreaser and was pretty gentle with the water, so I have a hard time believing that caused the trouble but it's possible.

With the miles on the car, it could be several things.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks. Lower was replaced few weeks ago when I did the timing belt.

There was so much crud under there and the lower is easy so I did that one to see if it would at least slow the leaking way down so they could limp it through for a while....... nope, still leaves pretty good spots on the driveway.

After a couple hours of major degreaser, hot water pressure washer and more tooth-brush degreasing I have verified that the leak is coming from the front and the front pass. side of the upper pan to block seal and a very little bit from the pass side rear facing cam seal "plug".

When I did the timing belt the drivers side cam seal was leaking a bit, the cam tens. seal was wet and the front main crank seal was quite leaky.......... she is/was a mess. ;-P
Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If its leaking from the front...

Check the right side of the oil pump. I believe Audi used sealant on the upper corners where the oil pan meets the pump and Ive had a leak there.

I actually thought it would mean I would have to rip the oil pan off to get the pump out but it turned out to be a bolt backing out from the pump that was causing the leak.

The upper pan is a real PITA, seriously. Make sure you cover every corner and make sure its a last resort. Unless you unbolt the motor mounts and hoses ,exhaust, etc.. and lift the motor the subframe will have to drop. Theres two tether plates (w/ 2 13mm bolts) and 1 18mm for each side of the rear of the subframe. You may be able to just drop it enough but its an intense procedure.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can see an obvious leak from the pan/block joint. It has to come out.

Best I can see, subframe drop - pull it out and clean it up - reseal - put back together and do an alignment.

I mentioned that it would need an alignment after the process and they had planned to get one right off anyway. So that's good.

Thanks, and I will take pics etc.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you do a writeup on that...

I will forever be in debt to you. Mine upper pan gasket has been leaking forever. I've been afraid to try it myself, because like you said, there are no writeups on it currently (despite the fact that it's a common problem). How much are you charging by the way? I've been quoted $500 and $450 without alignment.

PLEASE DO A WRITEUP!!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I followed what AudiForce4 did. It work great and my engine looks really clean

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2272242.phtml">Here</a></li></ul>
Old 01-26-2007, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Might also be the lockout relay

The clutch switch and the anti-theft system are connected to a relay which in turn enables or disables the starter. If that relay's intermittently sticking, it would show similar symptoms as a bad ingition switch.

Quick Reply: Customer is bringing a 2.8 30V in tomorrow with starting issues and leaky upper oil pan gasket...