A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Damage to water pump after drained coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damage to water pump after drained coolant

So I hit some ice / dirt going off the road a bit in bad conditions. It looks like the bottom of my radiator was already very corroded and about to die, and the impact knocked a big ol' hole in the bottom on both sides, as well as messing up the ac condenser pretty bad. I limped the car home about 5 minutes, and coolant definitely fully drained in that time. The engine did not overheat, I was watching oil temp, and fortunately it was 15 degrees out which definitely helped. Like I said it was only a couple minutes, and I stopped once to cool down to be safe, so I don't think there is damage from that. What about the water pump though? Is it likely I killed that by letting it run dry?

I also bent the bottom air intake tube thing of the bumper on the driver side, and put a decent dent in it. It's also putting quite a kink in the rubber hose that goes to the intercooler because of this. Should I be worried about this as well? Doesn't look like there's much to do here other than replace the whole front end of the car...
Old 01-23-2019, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashKrazz
So I hit some ice / dirt going off the road a bit in bad conditions. It looks like the bottom of my radiator was already very corroded and about to die, and the impact knocked a big ol' hole in the bottom on both sides, as well as messing up the ac condenser pretty bad. I limped the car home about 5 minutes, and coolant definitely fully drained in that time. The engine did not overheat, I was watching oil temp, and fortunately it was 15 degrees out which definitely helped. Like I said it was only a couple minutes, and I stopped once to cool down to be safe, so I don't think there is damage from that. What about the water pump though? Is it likely I killed that by letting it run dry?

I also bent the bottom air intake tube thing of the bumper on the driver side, and put a decent dent in it. It's also putting quite a kink in the rubber hose that goes to the intercooler because of this. Should I be worried about this as well? Doesn't look like there's much to do here other than replace the whole front end of the car...
Water pumps are not "coolant lubricated". It's unlikely you killed it.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panzer A4
Water pumps are not "coolant lubricated". It's unlikely you killed it.
Got the new radiator on and it seems fine. I was thinking more along the lines of it spinning without resistance, but I guess being mechanically driven and not electric should make that less of an issue.