A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Damn, what a long weekend. StutterinJ and I installed new timing belt kits, water pumps and APR

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn, what a long weekend. StutterinJ and I installed new timing belt kits, water pumps and APR

snub mounts this weekend. My car took 14 hours, and his car took less than 5 hours. What did I learn?
-The installation guide on the tech articles was so useful, it did not cover every little thing but pretty damn close.
-You need the right tools for the job, including a few extra bolts cause a few of them were stripped.
-The bumper is not just push back, push down and up, more like push back and shake the sh*t out of it till it comes out.
-Nothing quite works like a little KY jelly for the snub mount install.
-And the last thing I learned and this might be useful to others, when all is done and you test drive the car, if the car is overheating, and only cold air blows through the vents, you probably have air in the coolant lines, to fix this on a 1.8t engine, you need to bleed the coolant lines. Unscrew the coolant tank, find the two hoses between the battery and brake boost fluid tank, the hoses lead through the fire wall, remove the plastic sleeve with the zip tie, just pull it down a ways. pull the left tube off just enough so the little hole is clear of the tube but the hose is not completely off. Lift your coolant tank so that it is above the height on those lines and fill with your coolant/water mix till the fluid flows out of that little hole. All the air should be out. Put the hose back on all the way, screw on the coolant tank and test drive.
-Oh yeah, and coolant really smells.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Re: more like push back and shake the sh*t out of it till it comes out.

Bwahahaha. I'll amend my FAQ accordingly ;-) Probably don't want to know this now, but there is an easier way to remove the bumper. Just stick a flathead screwdriver through a hole in the wheel well and pry it out of the clip (see link). Oh well, glad to hear the FAQ helped somewhat.

Andy<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1031872.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1031872.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-13-2003, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Let me know if you guys have any other weekend projects

Sounds like you guys can help me with my stage 3 install in the spring
Old 01-13-2003, 09:38 AM

Default What kind of work have you guys done in the past?

Just curious about your experience level. I'm trying to gauge whether or not the timing belt is something I should tackle myself since I'll need to get it done within the next 6 months.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:51 AM

Default StutterinJ is pretty good all around, much better than I, think he has done brake work, bpv, one

piece Euro lights. I have never really done anything like this before. I have put the K&amp;N in, Bailey valve and that is all. I never did an oil change either. I think I could do it now by myself using the directions but you should have someone knowlegeable around to assist or to ask questions to.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:53 AM

Default You should do the snub if you haven't already, I might do a K04 this summer. let me know when

you are doing the Stage 3. Does it come with good instructions?
Old 01-13-2003, 09:56 AM

Default Thanks for the excellent tech article, pics were huge. The only thing else we really needed to know

was how to bleed the coolant lines, other than that your article made it possible to do it. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:58 AM

Default Let me know... I'll be home in late may from school

I'll be happy to assist
Old 01-13-2003, 09:59 AM

Default thanks dude... I'm still recovering from the past two days... my back is killin me

you take a sick day today?? hehe
Old 01-13-2003, 10:00 AM

Default yeah your FAQ was a lifesaver... don't think I would have tackled the job without it

the pics were amazing. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: Damn, what a long weekend. StutterinJ and I installed new timing belt kits, water pumps and APR