A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Decision made - A4 : some questions plus comparison to other vehicles - 323, Accord, Mercedes, VW (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-1999, 01:21 PM
Paul

Default Decision made - A4 : some questions plus comparison to other vehicles - 323, Accord, Mercedes, VW (long)

Great board! I have learned A LOT during the past two months of reading this board and checking the archives. I have a HUGE stack of items I have printed out and added to my Audi folder.<p>First off, after much consideration, I have decided to go with the A4 - 2.8, Quattro, Tip, Sport, Weather, Leather. I have a couple of questions, but first, since I found the archives full of useful comparisons to other vehicles, I thought I would share mine:<p>Honda Accord V6 - this car is a rocket - great engine. The car is HUGE! What happened to the old "little" Accord? My problem with the car is that it is very "soft". Thought the steering was loose and suspension made for a very soft ride. Reminded me of driving a Sable. Might be great for a family, but not for me. After I told colleagues I had driven it, two told me "my grandmother just got that car!". Hmmmmm.....<p>VW Passat (the V6) - I think this is a very sharp looking car - both in and out. In fact, I think the interior is slightly more "European" than the Audi. Thought the engine lagged a bit. Nice car, but once one tosses in options, only a 2 year warranty, and no free service, price is within ballpark of Audi A4. Plus, no Quattro at the moment.<p>Mercedes C230 (4 cylinder with turbo) - drove this one just because we were right next to the dealer. A bigger car than the others. A lot of the interior features (door locks and seat adjusters) were in weird positions - though I think they are in "better" places, but different than how most of us have been trained. Since I had only tested V6's, thought the lag for the turbo was long and when it finally kicked in, made for a rough ride. Sure, was comparing a 4 cylinder to V6s, but price wise they are close. The fact that the 6 foot 3 inch salesperson could sit in the back was not a selling point to me (I don't want to give people rides!).<p>Finally, the only real competition: the BMW 323. A really sharp car. Test drove the dealer "loaner" car with the sports package. The car had 3000+ miles on the odometer, thus was broken in. A great little car. Thought the A4 interior is better - more stylish. Since I am planning on doing a lot of driving in winter conditions, Quattro is what helped me choose the Audi way. If I lived someplace warmer (CA, TX, or AZ), it would be a much harder choice. Though this lead to one of my questions (if you have made it this far):<p>A month ago I drove the A4 with the Sport package. Liked it very much at the time and decided I would go that route - though since then have forgotten how the ride felt. When I did my "retesting" on Saturday, dealer did not have any A4s with sport. No problem took out a non-sport A4 - still very impressed. Once done, walked next door and drove the above mentioned 323 with sport. Thought the 323 was very "tight" - great steering and good road-feedback. Certainly my testing was impacted since I drove a broken-in 323. Though, when driving back-to-back like this, my judgement is biased by the non-sport A4 I tried verus the sport 323. Thus, felt the 323 was "tighter" and more "fun" than the A4. Hence, my question -- will an A4 (with sport) have similiar "feedback" given the better tires and tighter suspension. Don't worry, I am going to get the A4 with sport, but since I have forgotten how it feels and have no way to test, I just want to remove my last bit of hestitation. Since I know many of you have driven the A4 sport versus A4 non-sport and 323 versus A4, I would appreciate you opinions. <p>Last question is color - I think the Santorin Blue Mica looks great. Going with the leather interior - any suggestions/preference on interior color? Also, given the leather option, any preference on "atmospheres". Thanks!<p>Finally, best solution of all - my girlfriend wants me to get the A4 so that she can get the 323!
Old 05-09-1999, 01:36 PM
EW

Default Re: Decision made - A4 : some questions plus comparison to other vehicles - 323, Accord, Mercedes, VW (long)

Paul, <p>I like my A4 2.8 with manual shift. However, I think the power steering is way overboosted and it sometimes feels heavier on its feet than a 3 series.Still, it's a good handling car and I'm not planning on trading cars any time soon.<p>One of my reservations would be going with the automatic trans. My main gripe with the 2.8 is not enough beans, and the tip will not be as quick as the 5 speed. I am currently looking at chipping my car and maybe adding a cat back exhaust, provided it does not make for a droning sound cruising on the freeway.<p>Also, keep in mind that this is a heavyish car and I think it's sensitive to tire pressure. I run mine at 44 psi, themax recommended. It feels a lot better than when it's set at 30-something. Take a tire pressure gauge when you test drive.<p>Eric
Old 05-09-1999, 02:02 PM
Paul

Default Thanks for the comments

Good point about going with the Tip. I know I am giving up some performance by going with it, but I am tired of shiftng gears. I want to just focus on steering the car for a few years. Plus, by being able to manually shift the Tip, one keeps some of the fun.<p>Had never thought of bringing a tire gauge to check out the test car - tire pressure can make a heck of a difference! Good idea!
Old 05-09-1999, 02:07 PM
Paul

Default Santonin Blue - interior color?

Hmmmmm....what does it mean when you answer you own question? <p>Just found under the buyer's guide here at A4.ORG a great breakdown of exterior/interior color choices. <p>If I go with the Sanonin Blue exterior, given I want leather, my interior choices are:<br>Ecru (cream) which has Ambiente atmosphere (polished varoaa wood interior) OR Opal Grey with Ambition atmosphere (polished walnut wood interior) OR Onxy (black) which has Advance atmosphere (open poor walnut wood interior).<p>I really do not like the gray, thus, any opinions on Ecru or Onxy?<p>Thanks!<br>
Old 05-09-1999, 02:19 PM
stanj

Default Pics of Ecru (link inside)

I have Santorin with Ecru, which gives a high contrast and I like it. Makes the car look bigger inside, too. Just be careful not to spill things :-)<p>I don't care for Onyx as it makes it too dark & hot in the summer.<p>- Stan<br><ul><li><a href="http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~stanj/Audi/Images/index.html">Stan's Santorin / Ecru</a></li></ul>
Old 05-09-1999, 03:18 PM
MarkG

Default A4 does not have the best road feel but handles well

I just got my 90 Prelude back from the shop and drove it around a bit. I still love this car even though I have had the A4 for almost a year now. You very much feel the road with the Prelude. I don't get this with the A4. It's limits are much higher but it is a bit detached from the road. Someone brought up a good point in saying that the A4 is not as tossable as some lighter cars. That said, I think the A4 with sport is an excellent all-around car and fun to drive. It's highway manners are excellent and you can drive it very hard. I don't mind giving up some road feel to get a good ride while maintaining the high limits. The Prelude is hell on long highway drives. BTW, my A4 is stock.<p>Mark (98.5 2.8 QMS)
Old 05-09-1999, 03:18 PM
Morgan Conrad

Default Re: Decision made - A4 : some questions plus comparison to other vehicles - 323, Accord, Mercedes, VW (long)

I originally wanted the Ecru with the Santorin Blue, but ended up with the opal grey since that's what was in stock. The grey has "grown" on me, and it shows dirt less. IMO, both are good choices. I think the black interior would make the whole car feel too dark.<p>Sports package is sharp, the Dunlops are great, but note that they don't hande cold weather well. Since you mentioned poor weather as a reason to pick the A4 quattro over the Bimmer, be warned.
Old 05-09-1999, 03:55 PM
Steve N.

Default Also have Santorin / Ecru

<br>Agree that it makes the car look roomier. It also avoids that the car<br>is all black/blue. The exterior/interior contrast works very well.<p>My dash is completely black, I think it makes the car look more<br>luxureous than it actually is.<p>Steve
Old 05-09-1999, 04:03 PM
CDS

The interiors have been changed for 99.5, Opal is now Ambiente and looks fantastic in leather with the vavona wood
Old 05-09-1999, 05:12 PM
Reggie

Default Sport suspension great - no problem in snow for me in Colorado more..

Don't forget the sport seats - were not offered as a option when I got mine. The A4 will not be a 3 series BMW. The BMW is the ultimate in handling and cost. I love my car for the best in real world driving. <p>Reggie<p>98.5 30v QMS Bose, weather, moonroof, leather,

Quick Reply: Decision made - A4 : some questions plus comparison to other vehicles - 323, Accord, Mercedes, VW (long)