A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Do Laser/Radar/Lidar etc. work when it is raining?

Old 07-19-1999, 08:44 AM
tjj

Do Laser/Radar/Lidar etc. work when it is raining?
Old 07-19-1999, 08:50 AM
Cris

Default yes.. not very well....

with laser, the diffraction caused by the rain/haze/fog will not be too accurate. Not to mention, the trooper will have to keep the window open to shoot the darn thing. <p>Cris<br>
Old 07-19-1999, 09:21 AM
JMorrison

Radar works like a champ when it is raining---that's why ships and aircraft have it.
Old 07-19-1999, 10:18 AM
Drew S.

Default Are you actually implying that these two uses of radar are related?

Marine/aircraft radar is sophisticated equipment. Police speed-trap radar is a bargain basement piece of equipment that is small (handheld in some cases) and built to be cheap enough that low-budget PD's can afford it.<p>I agree that ship and aircraft radar works well in less favorable weather, but I would ignore that evidence when discussing police radar.<br>
Old 07-19-1999, 11:03 AM
david

Default why I think not: (long)

let me tell you a story:<br>I was out cruising in my old Porsche 928 when it was still new to me, and my record was closer to being insurable.<br>I was driving on HWY 2 up to Stevens Pass on a day where it was dry in some areas, raining in others. Typical Pacific northwest weather. <br>As I turned a corner comming on a long stretch of strait highway I hit another wet patch of weather. I saw no cops or traffic and downshifted and floored it. I saw the state trooper sitting beside the road about 150 ft before passing him. His gun was on me the whole time as I slowed down through 110, 90, 70, and finally 60. Deciding to not trouble the cop with all the work of accelerating up to stop me- I pulled over immediately and reversed up to his car. <br>I stopped the car and waited for the cop to come. He looked puzzeled at me, so I got out (in the friving NW rain-"drizzle" everywhere else) and approached his car. He asked what the problem was!<br>I told him (rather suprised) that I thought that I was going to be pulled over for speeding, so I thought it would be nice to pull over and save him some effort. He thanked me for my kindness, but informed me that because of the rain he could not get a speed reading until I was 50-75 feet from him and only going 64- a mere 9 over the posted speed limit. <br>My expression must have been pure shock, since he broke out laughing then told me to keep my speed down and drive safe. <br>He complemented my car and told me to keep the speed down through the next town where there is another speed trap set up.<br>This was over 4 years ago (almost 5) so radar/laser technology must have improved some, so I guess I was lucky. I didn't even have my lights on which I heard is supposed to limit the range of both.<br>
Old 07-19-1999, 12:32 PM
H. Huntzinger (I'm back!)

Default NJ Laser = use is officiallly restricted use in the rain, by order of the court - variables are rain intensity and distance to target

nt<br>
Old 07-19-1999, 01:05 PM
alexI

And thats what ships and Aircraft see-the rain- police radar also sees rain-not your car
Old 07-19-1999, 01:59 PM
Jim Meyer

Having your lights on will not limit the range of radar - only laser.
Old 07-19-1999, 05:51 PM
Hugh

I do a lot of sailing and Radar does pick up rain and waves, it can also be desensitized to not see these. My guess is it depends on the equipment used and how it is adjusted.
Old 07-19-1999, 06:30 PM
Ancient Mariner

Default Depends on how it's tuned.

NT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do Laser/Radar/Lidar etc. work when it is raining?