A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Does swapping a chip erase fault codes?

Old 02-10-1999, 01:22 PM
Miles

Default Does swapping a chip erase fault codes?

I had my 1.8T at an independent shop on Monday to look over a problem I've been having that I think is hose related. They reported finding two codes, one power supply terminal 30 low voltage, and one idle speed control throttle positioner adaptation malfunction. I had my Wett chip in during this test.<br>I took the car in to the dealer on today to have them check the codes, but I swapped out the Wett chip with the stock chip. The dealer reported no fault codes in the computer! (The independent shop said they hadn't cleared the codes).<br>Are the codes stored on the chip, or somewhere else? I actually wrote Wetterauer before taking it in, and the response was that changing chips wouldn't affect the codes. Any idea what could have happened? The dealer suggested that perhaps the independent shop's computer was somehow incompatible with newer ECUs. Possible, I guess, but odd that those two specific codes would show up randomly, when they are fairly common (from what I understand) with a chip.<p>Strange.<p>Miles
Old 02-10-1999, 02:14 PM
Lucas

Default Re: Does swapping a chip erase fault codes?

No it does not clear the codes.<br>They are stored elsewhere.<br>Intermittant type faults are automatically cleared after about 50 engine starts if the original fault is not detected.<br>The Power supply fault always shows it self when the ECU is unplugged ie: loss of power.<br>When a new chip is fitted, you should turn on the<br>ignition but not the start the car for about 30-60 seconds.<br>This gives the ECU time to load new software and perform any default adaptions that may be programmed into the chip.<br>If you first installed the Weytt and started immediately the throttle adaption error pops up, but this error should dissappear after about 50 starts.<br>The 50 starts was mentioned to me by a Bosch engineer.
Old 02-10-1999, 08:00 PM
Joe

It just so happens it took my 99 1.8 to Neuspeed today to have my chip reprogramed. The guy who did the work told me the codes are on the chip. By the way 3rd, 4th and 5th gear are a lot of fun between 2500 and 5000 rpm
Old 02-10-1999, 09:20 PM
Lucas

I have changed chips, I have a K-04, I have the Nuespeed, Wett and Garret.<br>I can tell you first hand if you have a fault code and change chips, the Fault codes remain.<br>Any way some of the chips are PROM, they cannot be written to to store a code after they where originally programmed.
Old 02-11-1999, 08:02 AM
Marc

Default Which chip do you like the best???

Just curious which chip you liked the best of the three? I know the Garrett<br>chip is really popular with VW owners, just wanted your opinion of it as well.<p>Thanks,<p>Marc<br>99 1.8tqms