A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Drive shaft issue caught my car on fire." 1996 A4 2.8 Qautrro"

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft issue caught my car on fire." 1996 A4 2.8 Qautrro"

Issue: Where the transmission meets shaft got so hot it ignited the boot which then ignited my gear shift assembly luckily I was able to put it out before it spread further.
I am not sure why it got so hot. There have been no signs that anything was wrong, no noises, vibrations or grinding. The car was running great. Looking at what it is going to cost me for the repair kit alone not labor I wish I would have let her burn. I would really like to know what caused this before I decide to fix or not.
Since the shift assembly melted the car is stuck in park. I have removed it and thought I could just manually put it in neutral so I could have it tow but guess what its not that easy. would like to know how to put it in gear with out the shift assembly. I did leave all wires to the gearshift put it in the d position, key on, and break pushed.

Thank you for taking the time to read my issues.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Are you sure that something didn't get blown up in there and lit on the exhaust? The only thing that could get hot is maybe a seizing driveshaft CV but I would doubt that's it.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
Are you sure that something didn't get blown up in there and lit on the exhaust? The only thing that could get hot is maybe a seizing driveshaft CV but I would doubt that's it.
I'm positive I had just washed my car drove no more than 10 blocks when I noticed the smoke. It was driving normal still starts right up and sound good after I put the fire out. When I noticed the shift assembly was melted I removed it and tried to put in gear manually by pushing the shifter cable by hand but it's locked in park. Any advice would help. After I looked around in there the shaftboot is the only thing it can be. It was completely gone just melted rubber on the pavement and the seal if that is what is between the shaft and transmission was completely chard all the way around. I would really like to get her out of park to see how she rows. The car didnt even have time to get hot I was able to take coolant cap off with out it pushing water out. Just has me scratching my head. Looks like it has not happen much because I can not find any thing like this on line. There is no transmission leak.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you have stock exhaust and stock cats? Heat shields all in place?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Do you have stock exhaust and stock cats? Heat shields all in place?
Yes sir, the only thing I can think could have happen was some kind of debris got stuck up in there as I was driving and ignited. Originally I thought it was the joint from the driveshaft to the transmission because there was some chard rubber around the joint, but as I looked into it, it was part of the lever housing that had melted onto the joint.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
I must apologize. When I originally read your post I thought you were asking me if something "blown up" in my exhaust. As in something went boom in my exhaust. After checking everything I believe that's what it was.