A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Dust-free PBR/Axxis brake pads - some new info

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-1998, 08:06 PM
Igor Kessel

Default Dust-free PBR/Axxis brake pads - some new info

During the last Mid-Atlantic Quattro Club meeting this past Saturday I and Chris Hlubb matched up the A4 pads with the '92-> 100/A6 ones. They are identical mechanically and only differ by the lack of the wear sensor on the A4 pad.<p>This may be a benefit in disguise, coz once the PBR/Axxis pad is out I'm gonna get the A6 part rather than the A4 and build a small CMOS OR circuit which will trip the "brake" light and the buzzer when either pad wears it's sensor through. Or better yet, build the AND circuit so that it will show when both pads will wear their sensors. My A4TQ does not have this feature, although my 200TQ does and I find it very convenient.<p>Availability: stinks so far. I just spoke to Rod @ TPC and he called Axxis on my request. They are giving him a run around on the manufacturing date. So don't hold your breath for the forthcoming release. It might take a while.<p>On the A4 pad: by now everybody already knows that they are notoriously dirty (much dirtier than the OEM type-44 Audi pads) and are dangerous in the first wet application. It appears that Audi in it's infinite wisdom switched the OEM suppliers from Jerrod to ATE hence the lousy pads we now have on the A4.<p>FYI, the rear pads on the A4 are identical to the 200TQ, I have already bought them (PBR Deluxe p/n 363R) for the A4.<p>I will post any new info as soon as I find out.<p>Igor Kessel<br>'89 200TQ - dust-free PBR Deluxe all around<br>'98 A4TQ - horrible OEM crap
Old 10-20-1998, 08:17 PM
Big O

Default Bless you, my son . . . . and a question!

Words I love to hear. A year ago, I musta been one of the few that was looking for the Repco pads, which have since been renamed to the Axxis (PBR) brand.<p>Now, are these new pads for the A4 also going to be "Metal Master" pads? My old 944 pads just say "PBR Metal Master", but were sold as Repcos. I presume Axxis may make different types of pads and want to make sure I get the same compound.<p>Where do you buy the rears? I found one place (www.fatinc.com) that carries the rears for $45.<p>I not just prefer these pads, I *love* them. They feel more solid, are easier to modulate, get better as they heat up, don't create any visible dust (less than road dust, anyway) and never squeal. Plus, they grab better as they get hotter. Almost too good to believe . . . but >40,000 miles on the 944 have made a believer out of me!
Old 10-21-1998, 05:33 AM
Igor Kessel

Default The Repco/Axxis/PBR evolution

I've been using them exclusively since I first discovered them in '91, three Audis ago - and absolutely love them!<br>From what I know, the Australian Repco/Bendix split up a few years ago and have become Axxis in Canada and PBR here in the States. I used all three names, alternetively, and found that they are the same quality.<p>Their designation scheme uses "D" for Deluxes and "MM" for Metal Masters next to a p/n.<p>I use Deluxes on the street and Metal Masters on the track. Good stopping power wet or dry (even for my 2 tonne, chipped to 18psi 200TQ), zero dust, zero squeal. They audibly drone if I am driving next to a concrete divider with an open window, but that's because of the flute effect of the hot gases escaping through the holes in my cross-drilled vented/finned Brembos.<p>Igor Kessel<br>Two turbo quattros
Old 10-21-1998, 07:34 AM
ErikR

Default Thanks! Some MM experiences

I used the repco MM for 4 years on my last car, and I don't know if they have different compounding now. My experience was mixed. They had no dust, or fade, and wore like iron. But, they literally did not grip at all in negative temps and would not lock up the fronts when warmed up in racing.<p>I switched to R4S's and was really amazed at how much better the new pads were in overall grip, pedal feel, and cold use.
Old 10-21-1998, 08:30 AM
Igor Kessel

MM do indeed fade when fluid boils. What's &quot;R4S&quot;, Eric? Are they also dust-free? (eom)
Old 10-21-1998, 08:39 AM
ErikR

Porterfield Carbon/Kevlar street pads
Old 10-21-1998, 09:01 AM
Drew S.

Default Wouldn't *any* setup fade when the fluid boils?

I don't know much about brakes, but I understand that boiling brake fluid is a problem. I would think it's a problem regardless of which pads you use. It would affect the hydraulic system. The pad is just the pad.<p>If these assumptions are true, then you can't blame MM pads for brake fade when the fluid is boiling.<br>
Old 10-21-1998, 09:29 AM
Big O

Default Re: Thanks! Some MM experiences

Who makes R4S's? You're right, it is hard to lock up the fronts now. But on the 944S, that seems to be just about perfect for stopping, kinda like a "Flintstonian ABS". It takes very little travel (good, tight response) from engagement to lockup, but then a *lot* of pressure is needed to get them to lock up.<p>Could I be missing a major drawback of these pads . . . . or are they formulated for this kind of behaviour?
Old 10-21-1998, 09:34 AM
Big O

Default Re: The Repco/Axxis/PBR evolution

I'm using Metal Masters on the street, and am still waiting for the original rear pads (1987, 123,000 miles!) to wear down enough to be worth replacing, with a box of MMs sitting in my cubbyhole. ;-)<p><br>Any reason you prefer the Deluxes on the street? MMs too high effort when cold? Any other drawbacks?
Old 10-22-1998, 08:10 AM
Igor Kessel

Default Re: The Repco/Axxis/PBR evolution

Mostly because the MM are harder on the rotors than the soft organic Deluxes. My rotors tend to be on the expensive side (cross-drilled and vented Brembos in all four corners) so I prefer to take it easy on them when heavy duty service is not called for.<br>Another reason, just like you said, is because the MM like to be warmed up when cold. <p>Igor Kessel<br>Two turbo quattros

Quick Reply: Dust-free PBR/Axxis brake pads - some new info