A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

European rear turn signals for Avant

Old 11-21-1998, 02:41 PM
Mark M

Default European rear turn signals for Avant

1 week into A4 ownership and loving it. Thanks to everyone here for<br>tons of useful information. Coin holder installed; cargo liner on order.<br>Dealer now hase codes for remote reprogramming ! <p>What's available in the way of replacement lenses for the rear turn assembly for 99 Avants.<br>I hate the all red stock lenses and would like to change. How easy is<br>it to get current lenses out. How do I go about doing this.<p>Thanks for advice.<p>Mark 99 2.8Q Avant Silver Opal grey<br>
Old 11-21-1998, 04:32 PM
stanj

Default I did it to my (sedan) 98.5...

I also hate the red turn signals - I think they are a nightmare what safety is concerned, esp. at night.<p>When visiting home (Switzerland) I bought the set of tail light. NOTE: you must replace the whole unit, there is no easy fix (the other way round, to make an Euro tail signal flash red is simple). <p>The exchange of both units took me about 5 minutes each. A socket wrench was the only tool used. I would think that the Avant will be equally simple. <p>I can provide part-#s for the sedan, don't have the ones for the avant, though. PLEASE NOTE that the installation of the Euro tail lights is borderline illegal: according to US regulations, the car must have a red light visible to the side of the car. The US specs tail light has the tail light strip curved to the side, the Euro one ligns up with the turn signal / reverse light (i.e., is about 2 inches shorter). However, the light is still visible from the side up to an angle of about 30 deg to the front (the US light can be seen to about 80 deg). I don't think any cop will notice, but just to let you know. I think the increased safety thru the orange signal outweighs this disadvantage.<p>Hope this helps,<br>- Stan<br>
Old 11-22-1998, 08:45 PM
JT

Default What cargo liner did you order? I installed my WeatherTech today.

It didn't fit perfectly. I don't know if you have a cargo net, but I had to cut out the 4 holes so I can still use the cargo net over the cargo liner. They all didn't line up exactly over the "D" rings, still. Two of them had to be cut a bit wider, too! Besides that, I had to cut out the lower left corner to accomodate my CD player. On earlier year A4's the CD player was mounted at the top of the trunk(hung down) and I'm assuming the cargo liner was made back then! Any questions, e-mail me.<p>JT 99' 1.8Tqms