A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Facelift Full DIS Cluster - CANBus problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facelift Full DIS Cluster - CANBus problem

Hello, i have a little project of mine, and im stumbling on a problem with the CANBus, now i am nowhere near a technical guy and barely knows how it works, though afaik when you connect the pin 5/6 on the grey connector behind the cluster to the radio low and high CAN pins it should provide the CANBus reliant radio with the signals it needs to function, ie. illumination and ignition-on. this is how alot of guides says you can bypass the canbus simulator if you have the cluster with a grey connector(board computer one) when installing a RNS-E for example, tho mine is an aftermarket android unit, which should work the same way as my head-unit came with a CANBus decoder that transfers the signal into ignition-on/illumination and also two signals called TX and RX which i assume is for steering wheel buttons.

Now most would think that i could just hardwire my stock illumination wire and ignition-on wire to the aftermarket pins, and yes that is what i have done, but atm i am trying to get a CANBus steering wheel to work in my car with a steering wheel control module, it should work as it has been done so before in B5's.
On my grey cluster connector CAN H and CAN L has some very odd voltages on those two pins, yet again i dont know much about it, but having the CAN L spitting out 10,6v and CAN H outputting 0,4v(basic **** trying to use volt-meter to check this kind of thing) which is nowhere near what CANBus operating voltages, the steering wheel module when powered on does what i suspected; around 2,5v with dipping below 2v and raising above 3v, which should be the norm, is my cluster faulty?

Thanks in advance