A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

First Oil Change Question: Synthetic Yet? - Yes another one (semi long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-1999, 07:04 PM
Ash

Default First Oil Change Question: Synthetic Yet? - Yes another one (semi long)

First, yes, I read the FAQ, and I searched the archives, and I didn't quite get what I was looking for. I have already made the decision to go to synthetic oil in my 98.5 1.8TQMS. I just scheduled an appointment with my dealer for next Monday morning, where I'm gonna go through a list of small niggling things I want fixed (yea you can call me ****....oh well). Anyway, I asked the service guy if they could put in synthetic for me if I bought it, he said no problem but that he recommends I wait until about 30,000 kms (about 18,000 miles). He said this would give the rings a good break in. Break in? After 30,000 kms?? I figured after 8,000 kms (first service) the rings will be well broken in and the valves will be seating nicely etc etc. <p>The archives, FAQ, and input from this board have convinced me to go synthetic, but the question is, when? Should I just tell him I want the synthetic regardless? I'm afraid he may have trouble taking me seriously (I"m only 22 you see....).<p>Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give....<p>Cheers,<br>-Ash 98.5 Silver 1.8TQMS (With the oil service light flashing...)<p>PS: I'll probably end up going to Mobil 1...what viscosity is good for winter? (here in Toronto?)
Old 01-04-1999, 08:03 PM
Mathieu Lapointe

Default synthetic

From what I have read if you start with regular oil you have to stay with it for the life of your car.<p>If you start with synthetic oil you have to stay with it for the life of your car.<p>I wanted to change my car has 60,000KM my service dept says it's almost safe. I therefore never will go to synthetic. If I knew before I would have.<p>I'm sure most people will agree to go with 20W50 grade oil in the car, being very thick it offers the best protection for your engine. If you want to go with synthetic start now!<br>
Old 01-04-1999, 08:13 PM
tHe uNaBimMeR

Default Re: First Oil Change Question: Synthetic Yet? - Yes another one (semi long)

check out Amsoil series 2000 Ow30 or VollSynthese 5w40<br>synthetics.........
Old 01-04-1999, 11:46 PM
Damon

Default Went synthetic at 1000 miles. Tranny, Gears and Motor.

Audis are already broken in when you get em. Thats a bunch of bs. yes the motor will loosen up at about 5k, which I'm sure you have already experienced, synthetics certainly will not hinder that effect .<p>-Damon<br>98 30v Avant QMS, AMS chip, cat back (Remis), K&N, H&Rs Bilstiens, 18s, Recaro SRs.
Old 01-04-1999, 11:53 PM
Damon

Default Wrong. You can't "mix" regular and synthetic oil together. more

You can and should go to synthetics. You can not run 2 quarts of regular and 3 quarts of synthetic in the same crank case. You most certainly CAN dump the oil out and put whatever you want back in. If you're worried about the mixing issue dump the regular oil, fill with synthetic, drive 250 miles or so, dump the synthetic and put fresh synthetic in. Its a quich waste of 40 bucks worth of synthetic oil but hey, how can put a price tag on oiece of mind.<p><br>
Old 01-05-1999, 07:54 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Re: Wrong. You *CAN* "mix" regular and synthetic oil together. more

You can mix synthetic motor oil and conventional oil with no problems. Here's info pulled directly from Mobil's web site (http://www.mobil.com/oneracing/about/products/engineoil/10w_30/index.html):<p>"The Mobil 1 Series are fully compatible with mineral-based or conventional motor oils. Any mixing of Mobil 1 Series products with conventional motor oils, however, will only dilute their many advantages. The Mobil 1 Series products may not be compatible with all other synthetic motor oils."<p>There's no need to "flush" your engine when you switch from conventional oil to synthetic.<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar Chip, ABT Filter, Euro Headlights with<br>PIAA SuperWhite's, A!AvantGarde Grill, Smoked Side-Markers,<br>Clear Corner-Markers, Tint
Old 01-05-1999, 07:55 AM
Andy Hedin

I'm running Mobil-1 10w-30 in winter; 15w-50 in summer (Philadelphia, PA) in a '97 1.8T
Old 01-05-1999, 09:01 AM
nozomi

Default Switching to Mobil 1 at 25K

I bought a 96QM used, and asked for Mobil 1 for the last oil change at the dealer. I have all previous service records for the car and knew the car had conventional oil.<br>The service manager said, "You should have used it earlier if you wanted to<br>take advantage of synthetic."<br>Since I hadn't heard switching to Mobil 1 at 25K is bad for the engine, I still asked.<br>He didn't mind selling me Mobil 1 for $7 @quart anyway.<p>Nozomi
Old 01-05-1999, 09:17 AM
John

Default Re: Wrong. You can't "mix" (Sorry, but YOU are wrong!) more

You most definitely CAN mix synthetic and non-synthetic oils. In fact, quite a number of major manufacturers do just that. Check your auto supply store and you'll find 4 or 5 brands of synthetic/non-synthetic hybrids. It's very little more than non-synthetic in price.<p>You must, of course, mix with like viscosity indices--i.e., 5W-30 with 5W-30.
Old 01-05-1999, 01:40 PM
skimants

Default Re: Labeled oils meeting mil-spec must be compatible

FWIW,<br>Long time ago when the military spec'd oil for it's vehicles they required all motor oils to be compatible. Unless there's been a change... this is still true. It's somewhat odd that Mobil says it's syn may not be compatible with other syn's as they would be probally excluded for governmental use ...highly unlikely.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change Question: Synthetic Yet? - Yes another one (semi long)