A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Front Diff (auto) driver side flange seal replace - looking for tips/clarification

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front Diff (auto) driver side flange seal replace - looking for tips/clarification

Hello
My vehicle: 2001 A4, 1.8T AWD Automatic transmission,
I have sprung a moderate leak at the front differential on the driver side. I can't tell if the fluid is gear oil or transmission fluid...
I've replaced seals before, but I am seeking tips and/or clarification as to the proper procedure and what other components need to be removed/replaced when removing the flange. I've done prior research, but information is inconsistent and confusing.
Is it possible to simply slide out the flange, or does the entire flange housing (item 23) need to be removed with it? If the housing does indeed need to be removed, does the ball bearing (item 27) come out with it or does that remain in place deeper within the transmission? Does the ball bearing really need to be replaced like the manual states?
I've read that the gear oil must be drained from the front diff before removing the flange, otherwise it will mix with the ATF...? Is there any truth to this?
If ATF is leaking from the inside, then I'm guessing the internal o ring (item 29) needs to be replaced. I am doubtful this is the case since I have not read much about transmission leaks occurring in this area.

I really want to do this right so I don't damage any sensitive parts and prevent future leaks. I appreciate any and all help, advice, tips, and clarification!
Thank you!

George

Diagram

Items