A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Fuel Pump Relay Logic Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump "Relay Logic" Question

Hi everyone,
I have a 2001 (only owner) 1.8T which I'm having problems with. Starting the engine on the 1st try almost never happens anymore.
If the engine is off for say an hour or so, it won't start on the 1st crank like it used to. It now almost always takes two short cranks for the engine to "catch". The starter crancks engine at a good rate of speed.
So far I've changed;
-Fuel filter (after 130k miles "life time")
-Fuel pressure regulator
-Spark plugs are OK
-Throtle body cleaned - TBA done.
-Coolant temp sensor was replaced when I replaced the coolant flange a year ago or so.
The battery is fairly new and the engine is in excellent running condition. There are no "codes" or other issues...

To me it feels like the fuel system rail is not "primming at pressure" properly so as to start up on the 1st try.

Just saw this Troubleshooting Guide at http://reviews.ebay.com/VW-VOLKSWAGE...00000005382319
BTW- This is an Excellent guide

The guide says this about the FP relay "...If you open your door you hear the pump kick on, if the pump no longer kicks on...replace the fuel pump relay."

This "open door then pump kicks on" sequence makes sense from a functional point of view...

Can anyone confirm this please?

If this sequence is indeed present, it (or the lack of it) could be what is causing some of these "hard start problem" posts I found while searching.

Thank you for your inputs on this.

Last edited by Zeca; 10-06-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Listen for the pump to run briefly; my '96 doesn't' do the door-open prime, only when turning the ignition on does the pump run for a second. If your car is designed to only prime once, when the driver's door opens, and not when the ignition is switched on, maybe there is a door switch problem. Do the interior lights come one when the door is opened?

You could also manually prime in different ways; with VAG-COM, run output tests which runs the pump, then try starting. See if you get a first-try start. Another way could be to remove the knee bolster cover, remove the fuel pump relay, take the cover off, then reinstall without the plastic cover. Now you can close the relay contacts with your finger to run the pump briefly, then try to start in the normal way. You should see the contacts close as the starter begins to run.

If you have VAG-COM available, check the coolant temp reading before starting, even though the sensor isn't that old.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes a faulty crank position sensor can cause starting issues.

We have them available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have a new fuel pump relay on the way. I think this is it...
Will post back if it worked or not.

Thank you for the replies.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Good luck. I'll be surprised if the relay is your problem. Let us know.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sad to say

The fuel pump relay wasn't it...The problem continues.

However I am certain that the fuel pump used to "kick-in" when the door was opened.

The interior lights come-on when the door is opened so whatever switch/sensor is at play sensing the door opening is still OK.
I don't have an electrical diagram /'logic block' diagram to study but I'll keep on looking.

Apreciate any and all inputs on this..