A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Gather around children, and you shall hear the tale of Sameer's T28 v. the new gen M3.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gather around children, and you shall hear the tale of Sameer's T28 v. the new gen M3.

Ahhh, this is good...ever since i got this kit ive been wanting to race somthing fast...and today i got my chance.

I have 600 miles on my WOA clutch which is beginning to bite. While i still will not launch, it now holds the power...so i can finally play.

So today i took a sick day to take my GF to O'Hare, she is visited a friend in DC for labor day weekend. The roads are extremely light this time of day. I approach the Oakbrook area on-ramp to 88W, and lo and behold, i see a new gen silver, 2 door M3 with the dual tailpipes, and a personalized license plate which makes me suspect the person either is an attorney or works for Advocate Healthcare Systems. One white male driver behind the wheel...

Im thinking im about to get a serving of humble pie, but that it will be a good show.

I ask my GF for permission to play (permission granted, i like to involve her when i can) and i tuck in behind him for the on ramp...which is a gentle S turn. Lo and behold he gets on it...excellent, time to play. I am on his tail through the S's as he looks in his rear mirror, and we merge onto 88W and i go to WOT...and notice i have to let up on the throttle because im reeling him in! Are you serious, did i just pull on an M3? This cannot be, let's see what happens as we continue to drive...

We hit the tolls, and we both have IPASS...we come out and i we hit it, i have to let up because he has now become a roadblock in the left lane

We proceed to play for the next 15 minutes...he would cut through traffic (please note it was extremely light and 294 is typically driven at 80+ by locals in Chicago, never once did i endanger myself or aothers) and i was right on his tale, i would have to let up on the throttle as i would slowly walk him everytime. Now i was stoked...i cannot believe the T28 is this competent.

88W to 294N is a long gentle sweeper, he takes the right lane, i take the left lane, and i pass him, perhaps hitting ~90-100 mph. My car feels alive now that im back to 17s, and she felt extremely poised even with Kumhos (or Kum-hoes) I wanted to make sure he saw the 1.8T badge on the car (don't want him thinking he lost to an S4). Once in the lead its clear that i have more power than him, he cannot keep up. Get in the open, go WOT, and watch him slowly fade in the rear view mirror. This is freaking intoxicating. I keep waiting for the hammer to fall, to see the M3 leap ahead spurred by its owner...but i realize its I who has the hammer.

Finally, the road is empty, i pull over and slow to 50, waiting for him. He rolls up, i look over and give him a thumbs up. This part is priceless. He looks at me, shakes his head with the "how did this just happen to my M3" starts to nod, and gives me a thumbs up. We then go to WOT, and i gain 1 1/2 car lengths from 50-100 when i let off due to traffic. I give him a wave and resume a liesurly coast toward O'Hare, my GF asking me "your a power addict, aren't you?"

Unbelieveable. After trashing multiple ricers and a couple fast cars (WRX, Lexus GS400, Lexus LS400, a couple V8 Mustangs) i was wondering what would happen if i came across a really fast car. I slapped around an older 240hp M3 but that's not really fair. I honestly thought that with 333hp that M3 would be noticeably quicker...but its absolutely clear to me that my car makes more power (gobs more torque) than his M3, and that he was most definitely trying very hard.

I was so giddy my GF didn't even mind...she commented on how crestfallen the M3 guy looked, and then asked me if the M3 is supposed to be faster than me Like two Teutonic Order knights before Aleppo, our two silver cars glittered in the sun, one from Bavaria, one from Ingolstadt...competing on a ashpalt field thousands of miles from home, like their crusading ancestors before them. Delicate throughbreds, lovingly maintained in anticipation of all out tests of mettle such as what happened today. What was smug confidence in the M3's eyes slowly turned to resignation at the realization that there is, in fact, a replacement for displacement. With grace, the champion had to yeild to the brash 4 cylinder, build stouter, and fortified more than Oktoberfest's darkest stouts. To listen to my T28 in full siren for extended period was simply divine...a vortex of inducted air turning fuel and spark into power...to hear my BPV "zuck" as i shifted occasionally to 5th, and back down to 4th...to realize that my car is able to surpass one of Germany's finest examples of a throughbred...oh yes.

Tony@PES... you magnificent bastard. I cannot imagine what this kit is like with a hi-flow cat, a real exhaust (i plan to get a 3" DP and perhaps a 2.75" DP-back exhaust to replace my 2.25" Borla), and a FMIC (heck, even try race program someday). Perhaps then i can harass M5s, after all they only make 66 more HP than the M3, right?

Temperature today was 88 and average humidity...clear and sunny. My engine temp never went above 2 ticks left of 250 (where is sat with my KO3) and coolant never wavered. Having stock brakes i was very even-handed with using them, they never faded, but damn if my wheels have alot of brake dust on em.

It doesn't get better than this. I have been dying to really see what my T28 sled can do...and today i learned against some of the best on the road. Of course, kudos to the Hypercoil/Bilstiens, and the other mods that make going fast a controlled and rewarding experience.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 08-30-2002, 11:02 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

told ya =)
Old 08-30-2002, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ingolstadt IS in Bavaria. :-P
Old 08-30-2002, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice!!! Congrats.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ya ya ya, just poetic license for the Bavarian Motor Werks guys...jeez you guys are rough...

i was gonna say Wolfsbugh cause frankly it sounds meaner than Ignolstadt...glad i didn't

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 08-30-2002, 11:08 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default That's a great stroy, but Ingolstat is also in Bavaria.. BuMWipe is in Munich... ;)

Better start trolling the BMW boards, looking for the 'i just got killed by an S4' post, so you can chime in and rub in the fact that it's really an A4..
Old 08-30-2002, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

another exceptional yarn, spun by one of the most prolific of AW linguists.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW's in Munchen to be a bit more precise.

both are in the Bavarian region.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:12 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Bavaria is a state.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:13 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

=) Can you bring the popcorn next time?

Quick Reply: Gather around children, and you shall hear the tale of Sameer's T28 v. the new gen M3.