A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Getting discouraged about A4 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-1999, 08:07 PM
Dave C

Default Getting discouraged about A4 (long)

I place my deposit for an 99.5 2.8QMS the day the 99.5 was announced; around Thanksgiving. Now as I wait for my delivery sometime in March, I've been reading this forum every day and my excitement for this car is diminishing.<p>1. I just found out yesterday that the 99.5 is not longer offering the Opal Grey with the Light Silver exterior! (By the way, it's not available also for the Santorin Blue!) I don't get it!<br>2. Reading that the brakes don't work in the cold! Now that's a first I've heard of any car. Has anyone heard anything like that with another $30K car?<br>3. And then I read that someone has their gas pedal stuck, red lining the car.<br>4. Then the annoying things: leaking oil, cracked leatherette seats after 2 years?!, wind noise and drafts in the doors (aside from the mirrors), squeaks and creaks, failure to start the car, etc.<p>What's the deal? BMWs, Lexus, and Honda Civics don't have these basic and _dangerous_ problems. For $30K I had hoped to have a piece of mind and have less problems than my '89 Prelude.<p>Anyway I hope someone out there can give me a good word. I still feel the benefits outweigh the pains and will continue to choose the A4, though not as excited as before.<p>But if I read that someone's wheel happens to fly off in the middle of a highway ;P then I'm switching!<p>Dave
Old 01-05-1999, 08:28 PM
Steve S.

Default Hogwash...get the car and enjoy

For every comment about wind noise coming from the drivers side mirror there are ten folks that have had only pleasant experiences with their ownership of the car. Face it, the majority of the folks here are automobile fanatics and perfectionists (I am)..and they will tend to talk about the creaking in the B pillar...or the smell of the windshield fluid....or the slight distortion in the windshield.....who cares?...turn up the stereo and go out and enjoy the car. It is awesome.<p>Taking everything into consideration...this car is bar far the best automobile I have ever owned. Bar none. I now have 29K miles on my 97 car I bought in July 97.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 01-05-1999, 08:43 PM
Alfonso Gutierrez

Default 98 2.8qm NO PROBLEMS and very HAPPY

<br>.
Old 01-05-1999, 08:46 PM
mshan

Default Are you sure that the Opal Grey (leatherette or cloth?) interior will not be available with light silver or santorin blue exterior?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-1999, 09:03 PM
Dave C

Default My order was rejected; its in the dealer's config books

My dealer couldn't place the order in the computer because of the grey/light silver combo. He showed me the color configuration book as well.<br>
Old 01-05-1999, 09:05 PM
Rich D.

Default Steve, I'm curious....

I got my car in July '97 also (ordered it in May), and I was just wondering why you went with the 12-valve. Was it the price difference, and if so, do you mind my asking how much you saved over a '98.0?<p>Rich D.<br>'98.0 A4 2.8
Old 01-05-1999, 09:36 PM
Steve S.

Default I was a 1.8T buyer at first....

And then sat there at another dealer lookin at two cars on the lot....a loaded Cactus Green 30V for about MSRP of $33.4K...and my 12V with a MSRP of $31.3K....I ended up getting the 12V car for $28.8K. The 98 1.8TQM would have been about $27.2K and 5-6 months wait...and the 12V I drove off the lot....It was a case of "gotta have it now" syndrome. Looking at the possibility of a 99.5 or 2000 1.8TQM sport now.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 01-06-1999, 05:02 AM
JimV

Default Re: My order was rejected; its in the dealer's config books

I have a 98.5 with Santorin Blue and Opal Grey
Old 01-06-1999, 05:18 AM
John S

Default Santorin/Opal shouldn't be a problem

I've got a Santorin Blue/Opal cloth 1.8T on order and haven't heard anything about unavailability of that color combo.
Old 01-06-1999, 05:27 AM
whoops

Default Wheel off!

In the middle of I-95, started to slow down in the middle lane, only to be passed by one of my rear wheels! Crappy Bimmer!

Quick Reply: Getting discouraged about A4 (long)