A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Getting first service early...any issues regarding first oil and engine life?

Old 09-06-2000, 10:49 AM
flc
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting first service early...any issues regarding first oil and engine life?

I've had my 1.8T for about 6months now. It's still under 5000mi. (I know, I'm a disgrace for not driving it more often).....

But now I'm confronted with the decision if I should get my first service done now or wait longer.

Dealer had suggested the first service at 6mon/5000mi.
The manual suggests 6mon/7500mi And to my knowledge, in Europe,
it's even longer: something like 10k-12k mi. (not exactly sure the numbers)

I've looked at some of the posted articles here in the past an some seem to suggest that you shouldn't change the oil early because the oil is special and the engine needs time to settle,etc. I've heard getting your first oil change early had in many cases led to an engine that burns more oil later. Others say it doesn't really matter and that the first oil in the engine is NOT special. The faq's state both (or neither, depending on how you look at it).

So without starting an all out debate on when the first oil change should be again, what do you guys/gals suggest?

If I wait until the 7-8months, will I forfeit my first service and have to use my second service? I don't care about nickel and diming for one more oil change that is free: just interested in what's best for the engine.....

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2000, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You get a certain number of services from what I understand...

So you could service it at 5K if you want. I have a 2.8 so I waited until 8K to do the first service. My engine does not burn any oil that I can tell (16K on it now). From what I have read, old habits combined with jiffy lube's marketing department has led us to believe that 3K should be the normal change. I read a good review from consumer reports last year that tested New York city taxicabs in the winter with all kinds of different oil (about as severe as you are going to get). It was very thorough. They even took the engines apart after 5K to measure the cylinder wall wear. They sent oil samples to independant labs to measure metal particulate. They didn't see any increase in metal particulate _at all_ until 7500 and it was minimal. They recommended 10K service intervals.

Interesting to note that the synthetics didn't do much better except at cold startups, where it resisted sludging much better. But the cheap Kmart stuff did as well as Castrol and Valvoline. Since NYC cabs don't get too many cold startups, I would assume that the statistics about synthetics could be a little skewed. And since most of your wear is at startup, that confirms to me synthetic is better. Others on this board have said that syntheic holds the oil temp down, but I haven't noticed it. But Turbos are harder on oil so it might make a difference to you.

My dealer told me that you get x amount of services. If you miss one, you still get to keep it. This was important to me because my dealer is 40 MI away and it is quite a haul for just an oil change. So I could get every other one done here and take it in for the larger services that include filters, etc.

It's up to you. Hope this helps.

-Josh<p>http://registry.audiworld.com/audi/registry/details.asp?car=5706