A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Getting my new project running

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my new project running

My buddy just got a b5 a4 and I’m his mechanic friends so by default it’s my project. The guy built the motor and bored it to a 2.0L and installed a big turbo as well as supporting mods. He did a clutch and half way through we got it and finished it up. He claims that it ran well before we got our hands on it but we havnt done a single thing other then the clutch. My problems are fowling plugs causing misfires due to it being extremely rich( 10.8-11.5 on the AFR gauge) he told us to just adjust the fuel pressure on the regulator and it should run fine. Doing that did nothing to to change the AFRs.
I don’t know too much about Audi’s specifically but it’s easier asking people who do then searching google forever to find what I need. Any help would be awesome and feel free to ask questions to help clarify.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2019, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question of mine own, but I thought I should try to help someone out before asking for help myself. :-)
Im probably asking more questions than giving answers, but maybe it will help you think of something else to check.

AFR @/about 11 - is that at idle? WOT? Both?
I've seen my 1.8t B5 go as rich as 12 @ WOT.

You mention you adjusted AFR on the regulator - how?
The stock fuel pressure regulator is not adjustable - but you have lots of aftermarket parts.
Do you have adjustable fuel pressure regulator? If so, you turned it down I'm guessing, to what?
1.8t stock should have about 45psi for fuel pressure at idle, and about 55psi at 2000 RPM.

If it was running fine before (so says the guy that sold it to you, heard that one before), what are the numbers on the plugs you are running?
I run the NGKs, and colder plugs run better. Stock are NGKBKUR6ET, but I run the 7s (one colder) - NGKBKR7E. The 7s are copper, so
need replaced about every 8-10k miles, but they only cost $10 for a set of 4. Tell what plug number run have - and for $10 - try one number
colder to see if it helps.
Not sure what your mod'ed car should be.