A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Greatings from UK A4 Turbo problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greatings from UK A4 Turbo problem!

hey folks, UK calling here, have a problem with my 1996 Audi A4 Turbo.

Drove my car to my girlfriends yesterday, everything was fine, car was boosting no problems and was running smoother than a babys behind. After I left my girlfriends, started the car up drove round the corner, and the car started to idle really funny (droping to 500rpm then back to 900rpm) at 900rpm it still felt a little lumpy. anyway, as i was driving, I tried to put my foot down and rather than the car picking up it almost swaped the engine and the idle droped and the car hardly moved. Slowly applying the pedal and the car accelrates extremely sluggishly, when it gets to normal boost RPM the car DOES boost. at one stage it almost felt as if the car was running soley on the turbo. I got home at 12:00 last night so had little time to look at it. I've taken it for a quick spin this morning (put some petrol in it as it was running low) but the car still has the same problem, there's no new noise's to suspect a big problem and the car isn't smooking when warm at all. I can't see any signs of headgasket failure in the water or oil, BUT when i removed the oil cap while the car was running, it looked as though the top cam wasn't moving? it was just sat there? So not being to technically minded, I assume my car is running on 2 cylenders? the engine is a 1.8 20v turbo? and the reason it is so slugisg is because I have only have half the power of the n/a part of the engine and the turbo is still working fine.. when i poped the bonnet just before i looked under the oil cap, the turbo was red hot to look at, as if it was being overworked because the rest of the engine wasn't up to much?

Any ideas? could it be as simple as spark plugs?
Old 01-13-2004, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you car wasn't moving then the engine wouldn't run at all
Old 01-13-2004, 04:33 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default If one of the cams wasn't turning, the engine would have a VERY hard time running indeed.. I'd get..

it to a shop as soon as possible.

Now, are you SURE that the cam was not turning? You can see the lobes looking through the oil fill hole on a 1.8t engine? Looking from the front of the car, the cam on the right would be the intake side, the one on the left would be the exhaust side. If the intake cam is stopped, what would happen is whichever valves were open would crash into the pistons, whichever valves were closed woudn't let in any air, so that piston would not fire well, if at all.