A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Headlights not working (read FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

Hello,

87' Audi 5000 CS TQ

I am haveing the EXACT same problem. I was using the 100W Silverstar upgraded bulbs for about 2 weeks and now I cannot get my headlights to turn on.

If I pull back on the stick and hold it the high beams will stay on.

Did any of you come up with a solution to this problem? I really need help because I have to drive at night. Thanks in advance!

-Ray
Old 05-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default N/M

Sorry I know this thread is old but I think I actually found a solution to this problem.

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...elec.html#lowb

I am going to the junkyard Monday to pull a combo switch of an Audi 200. If anyone who posted before is watching this thread still and hasn't solved their problem, I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default terminal maybe?

so my low beams stopped working last thursday night and i did some research and figured it was the combo switch. bought a used one from auto salvage and replaced myself. I'm no mechanic, though I'm alright with taking things apart and reassembling them (thanks to lego’s). but my low beams/ fog lights still aren't working. i have to work a late shift tomorrow night and I'm stressing to get them fixed immediately!!

if someone can walk me thru on how to check to the terminal, or any other possible reasons on why their not working i would highly appreciate it.

SN: fuses seem fine and i doubt its the actual headlights since they both went out at the same time, along with the fog lights.

thank you.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wallabeex
So, about four days ago my second headlight went out after my first one had been out for about a week and a half. I replaced the headlights and was surprised to find that they a) didn't appear to be burst and b) weren't working when replaced. I checked the fuses - all fine. After doing some reading, I found out that the headlight switch commonly goes when using Silverstar Ultra Whites, which I was.

I tried the trick of cleaning up the switch and sanding down the plastic on the inside to keep it from sticking. That didn't work. Tonight, I replaced the combo stalk entirely (brand new). That didn't work. I get high beams when I pull back on the stalk, but nothing with the lights. No current coming off the fuse box.

The next logical step appears to be the Load Reduction Relay. The problem is, I'm not seeing any other problem aside from my "One Push" electric windows mysteriously disappearing (I can still roll them down, but just pushing the button once does nothing unlike it usually does). Parking lights work, turn signals work, stereo works, foglights work, climate control works - not sure about cruise control.

Could this still be the relay? Is there any diagnostic steps I can take, without a VAG-COM, that would point me in a good direction?
I have the same problem too. Both my headlights went out but my blinker works, park lights works beside my head lights. My high beam only works when I hold back the stalk. Also there's no voltage coming out the fuse socket for the head lights when I checked for voltage and also my fog lights don't work. I bought a new ballast and bulb. I install it and still it didn't work. What do you guys think is the problem is? Is something wrong with the wiring? Do I need a brand new fuse box? Rely fuse? I'm a new audi owner and don't really have a clue on this type of situation. I own a 2000 audi a6 quattro.
Please help. Been working on it for about a month now.
Thank you
Old 07-20-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 Long term fix for failing head light switch

The headlight switch will continue to overheat and stop working until this modification is installed. The relays installed will handle all of the headlight current that the light switch used to not handle to well at all.

This will keep the heat out of the headlight switch and prevent any future failure.

I will attache a PDF of my drawing that I created and used to install the modification into my 1996 - 2001 B5 A4.

1996 - 2001 B5 Audi A4 Head Light Modification Rev 2 .pdf
Old 07-20-2015, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Adam Bierlein
The headlight switch will continue to overheat and stop working until this modification is installed. The relays installed will handle all of the headlight current that the light switch used to not handle to well at all.

This will keep the heat out of the headlight switch and prevent any future failure.

I will attache a PDF of my drawing that I created and used to install the modification into my 1996 - 2001 B5 A4.

Attachment 48451
Thank you.
I will definitely work on that.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 Long term fix for failing head light switch

1996 - 2001 B5 Audi A4 Head Light Modification Rev 2 .pdf
Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh fun Audi electrical problems!

What a mess. I do want to say the new vw will be better off without the boxes in the floor. Mine is a 2001 allroad 2.7. Having same problem. No headlights, blower motor quit, controls light up. Parking lights work. No fogs, windows, locks,sunroof. Radio is ok. seats are ok. No turn signal, Hazards are ok. Mostly new parts on mine. New enough it's not gotten enough miles to change the oil yet. new tires etc. if anyone is needing parts car.
The following users liked this post:
Chauncy (03-29-2021)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like my bright lights work too.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did a power wire jump from relay panel to the blower motor. Then the blower and turnsignals do ok. No headlights though. Then the windows began working.

Quick Reply: Headlights not working (read FAQ)