AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   Heater core backflush w/ pics (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/heater-core-backflush-w-pics-349252/)

TristanP 12-01-2008 12:59 PM

I suppose, but it's an Audi

Who knows? It certainly can't hurt.

Audi Junkie 12-01-2008 02:01 PM

If a little dousche kills the heater core, it was bound to leak and die anyway.

bschmidt1125 12-01-2008 08:33 PM

Nice work! I need to do this too. This would be a good guide for the tech section...

djdc 12-02-2008 04:41 AM

I knew that, thats what i'm looking to avoid :)

beejohn 12-05-2008 08:12 AM

i did that recently... didn't help my no heat problem :(

Agent009 12-05-2008 09:06 AM

Just did core using your instructions

Worked great. I used 3/4 inch tubing though and since it was cold outside I heated the hoses in the sink with hot water. They slid on perfectly and worked like a champ.

It was just only one blockage and it flowed right out. The car has 181K so I imagine it was really overdue.

Kris Hansen 12-05-2008 09:22 AM

Nice job Tristan, adding to tech.

TheOnlyPsi 11-25-2009 09:44 AM

Great pictures

I'm new here and a little bit of an newbie to fixing cars but when I started taking the hoses off the coolant began to rush out. Is this normal? If so what do you do to keep it from spilling all over the place?

maxxchon 11-25-2009 10:43 AM

As recommended in the end of the tech article, I would bleed the system first by using the bleed screw at the front of the radiator on the driver's side and then do this. Your heater core holds about 24-36 oz of coolant and the rest is in the engine and the radiator. The water rushing out is typical because even though the car is cold, I hope, it is still under some pressure and its looking to get out either into the reservoir or the open hose. If you dont have heat after this, its probably your thermostat. I found that the easiest way to check this is by warming up your car, drive to the closest highway or high speed street where you can go abouve 50mph. If when you start getting on the highway you see that the temperature guage is lowering and when you are on the highway its still low but when you get off and stop for about 1-2 minutes it start to get up to the normal level, its most likely your thermostat. The water circulates faster through the system at higher speeds because the water pump is controled by the timing belt. If the thermostat is always open, water passes through the radiator to cool before it goes back into the cooling system. If the thermostat is closed, that means the water is below the 180 degrees and is keeping your engine cool. So, the thermostat should open when your car's water temp is above 180F and close when your car is cold. After the thermostat change you should see that the temperature stays the same on the local roads and the highway. Hope this helps. It a PITA to change the thermostat but well worth it. Good luck.

JerzyBoy973 12-14-2009 03:22 PM

subscribed