AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   Heater core change, Remove dash help (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/heater-core-change-remove-dash-help-2778281/)

4Driver4 03-18-2010 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pete_A4 (Post 23943816)
well now i am going to buy a used one from the junkyard but i was wondering when i put it in if i connect all the wires and hoses if i can plug in the battery to test it to make sure it works??

Buying some used oil filters too?

Seriously, do not buy either an evap core or a heater core used. Both are high failure rate items, and both require significant effort to replace. Buy good quality new parts.

Pete_A4 03-18-2010 04:51 AM

this is my only car and i have no choice i have work tomorrow gotta get this back and running. Plus its a 96 i don't plan on making this my life long car. but i understand your opinion completley but im just in a tight situation

AudiMick 03-18-2010 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pete_A4 (Post 23943944)
this is my only car and i have no choice i have work tomorrow gotta get this back and running. Plus its a 96 i don't plan on making this my life long car. but i understand your opinion completley but im just in a tight situation

A new heater core is less than $50 online. An AC core is around $250.

Pete_A4 03-18-2010 05:47 AM

no no its not just the heater core i have to change the whole heater box. The big black box that controls all the flaps and ventilation

Kris Hansen 03-18-2010 05:54 AM

Regardless, I'm certain that they are different after the facelift in late 99.

Out of curiosity, why are you changing the whole box? are you sure the problem is the box and flap motors and such? or is it possible that the problem is the heater head unit?

4Driver4 03-18-2010 06:11 AM

Why the whole box? BTW, I probably have one in Connecticut if you are nearby.

mtroxel 03-18-2010 12:39 PM

a) I've done that job, I have no idea how you got there in 4 hours. Took me a day, but then I damn near labled every plug in the car.
b) The heater core, AC evaporator, and all the flaps and motors in there are all high risk items. Rent a car, take the bus, whatever......take the time to get new parts.

Pete_A4 03-18-2010 03:16 PM

ok guys just got done with everything. put everything back together and is now up and running. I had to change the whole heater box because all the motors were broken and previous owner rigged the blower motor inlet to fit a 99 blower motor. I had to buy i new climate control as well but now everythings good to go.

New question. I put coolant and all drove the car around the block but didnt seem to get real hot air?? I did not replace the heater core but i can access it with just taking out the glove box also how can i recharge the A/C?

thanks alot for all your help

mtroxel 03-18-2010 03:37 PM

If all you drove was around the block, I'm guessing you might still have an air bubble in the system. Don't panic till you drive farther.

Pete_A4 03-18-2010 05:59 PM

guys if i ever needed your help more than ever. So i put everything back together and realized im looking coolant inside the car. It is leaking from a nipple plastic piece from the bottom of the heater box. also there was coolant inside the box idk if that is normal? im begging for anyones help if you have any pics of guides on how the tubes are put back together id really appreciate it. I took everyhting back out of the car now im back to square one. please please help me out. theres a tube that goes from in between the inlet outlet tubing of the coolant that runs to a plastic container on the back. thats the tubing setup that idk how it goes about
thanks again