A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Heater Core Explosion

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core Explosion

Hey guys,

New here...

I have an 2000 A4 Avant 2.8 that had the heater core explode hot coolant into my dashboard and cabin (shot onto our feet!). It went everywhere... Even in the glove compartment. Instead of fixing the heater core, I had the shop bypass the heater, which unfortunately doesn't work now, but ok since I now live in Southern California.

Now my car reeks of coolant. I had the carpets washed and everything I could with open access cleaned, but it still smells of coolant. Especially when I run my air conditioner or fan. These fumes can't be healthy. Anyone know an easy fix to clean out the remaining smell? Auto shop recommended spraying disinfectant up through the floorboard into the recycling air duct but that just seems like it would half-*** mask the smell with another chemical smell.
Would really love to not develop some sort of diseases from the coolant fumes. Any recommendations would be amazing.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2018, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I do not know whether glycol or whatever the coolant is a carcinogen or something that will make you sick. But I doubt that you can ever get it out completely. Once it covers the wiring and other components it will not likely be able to be removed. You can try an enzyme type odor neutralizer or an ozonator treatment. It may lessen the odor. I would completely remove the carpeting and any sound deadening materials and clean them thoroughly. Maybe a big amount of baking soda will help. No good answers here. Sorry.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ozone eats rubber so be careful with that treatment in an automobile. Yes to the removal of carpet pad, and while you are at it either replace the carpet or clean and deodorize on both sides.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have used ozone for Smokey cars with good success. Alone it is not sufficient but after cleaning what you can it helped with the remainder. Yes, it does a number to rubber type items. Just don’t overdo it. No idea whether it would work for glycol.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response... I'll look into the ozone treatment.

My 2000 Audi is in pretty good condition and runs great but it's getting to the point where things are starting to break, and the cost of repair is starting to add up. Changing out the carpet might be the straw that broke the camels wallet.

The smell has seemed to lessen some. I"m hoping overtime the smell will lessen even more.

Thanks again.