A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help!!! - Car Scratches from Ice Scraper on Roof - any suggestions on products to use?

Old 02-13-2000, 03:16 PM
Mike O'Hare

Help!!! - Car Scratches from Ice Scraper on Roof - any suggestions on products to use?
Old 02-13-2000, 04:59 PM
Monkeyboy

Default Try this....

I would suggest going to the following link to learn about some options. This is a link provided in the audiworld site under links | misc.

You need to determine if the scratches are just thru the clearcoat or if they go down deeper. If not too deep, you should be able to resolve by yourself. If deeper, you need to treat it as a chip and may want to consider a professional job.

Good Luck!<ul><li><a href="http://www.carcareonline.com/howto_articles.html">Car Care Online How-Tos</a></li></ul>
Old 02-20-2000, 08:20 AM
HTP

Default WOW! Don't ever use ice scrapers on painted surfaces!!! But don't feel bad...(more)

I've done it and that's how I learned NOT to! Since the damage is done, if the scratches aren't TOO bad, try a product called "Scratch Out" made by Kit. Comes in a yellow container. It's clearcoat safe and designed for scratches and haze. I've been using it for years and works very well on minor to very moderate scratches. Because of the clearcoating, anything worse than minor scratches and scrapes (deep groves into the base coat or to the metal), I'd have done professionally and restrict the ice scraping to glass surfaces! There's another product I've seen do some pretty amazing work on moderate scratches/scrapes called GS-27, which you can buy at WalMart or K-Mart. My Mom had some pretty deep and obvious scratches on the rear bumper of her Camry from a shopping cart and the combination of Scratch Out and GS-27 completely removed them. I couldn't believe it myself. It's worth a try until you can afford to get your roof repaired and repainted. And who knows, you may not have to.