AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   help with weird startup noise (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/help-weird-startup-noise-78295/)

WarrenY 05-02-2001 08:38 AM

help with weird startup noise

Hi folks,

I have a noise on startup that sounds like a very loud tapping noise when I start the car, but the noise is only when I'm in gear and medium on the gas. If the car is in neutral and I rev the engine, no noise. It goes away about a minute or two after the car has been running, but will come again when the car has been sitting (off) for a couple hours or so. I've heard the valve tapping theory, but that should happen all the time, not just when I'm in gear and on the gas. It could almost sound like an exhaust leak, but I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Warren

Totalled SuperChargeA4 05-02-2001 08:43 AM

pressuming it's at cold start.. could be the lifters, normal

Kris Hansen 05-02-2001 08:45 AM

I am thinking something in the drivetrain needs grease..

So it only happens when the car is cold, under moderate acceleration?

What about hard acceleration?

Does it go away under coasting? (in gear, foot off accelerator, no brakes)

Do you feel any vibrations?

What is the frequency of the tapping (fast slow) and does the frequency change with speed?

If you shift while acclerating, does the noise disappear then reappear when you resume acceleration?

WarrenY 05-02-2001 03:24 PM

Re: I am thinking something in the drivetrain needs grease..

>So it only happens when the car is cold, under >moderate acceleration?
>What about hard acceleration?

It happens mostly when cold, and moderate to hard acceleration makes the noise. I try not to get on the gas hard when it's cold, but anything above moderate gas will make the noise. I've noticed that parking the car after it's warmed up, and driving it again 1-2 hours later will still produce the tapping noise, though not as loudly.

>Does it go away under coasting? (in gear, foot >off accelerator, no brakes)

It may be there but it's considerably quieter...it is REAL loud when I give it the gas. I experimented again today with the car in neutral and gassing it, and it was there, but a lot quieter than when the car is in gear. No vibrations.

>What is the frequency of the tapping (fast slow) >and does the frequency change with speed?

The frequency does increase as more gas is applied. As for the frequency, I'd guess it starts getting obvious when it's maybe 3-5 taps/sec but that's just a guess.

>If you shift while acclerating, does the noise >disappear then reappear when you resume >acceleration?

Yes, the noise will subside and then resume as soon as I'm on the gas. It's most obvious in 2nd, right as I come out of first.

Thanks for the help,

Warren

WarrenY 05-02-2001 03:25 PM

I'd like to assume it's normal, but I've never heard another 1.8T make this noise.