A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Hey Cameron, was that Recaro seat issue ever resolved?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-1999, 04:56 PM
KevinH

Hey Cameron, was that Recaro seat issue ever resolved?
Old 02-11-1999, 05:28 PM
Cameron

Default Thanks for asking, I checked with Audi today...

In 1996, the Sport package included a sport three-spoke steering wheel with faux rivets, and sport seats made by Recaro. The seats were available in heated and non-heated variants, in cloth or leather (no leatherette). The packages available in Germany were Heat, Sport, Convenience, and Quattro. The packages available in the U.S. were Heat, Convenience, and Quattro.<p>In 1997, the Sport package became available in the U.S., and the seats were made by Recaro again. The sport package in the U.S. included a sport steering wheel, sport seats, and a sport suspension, though each of the three options could be ordered seperately by dealers there was a block package price if dealers ordered seats, wheel, and suspension. This helped "build brand equity around the sport package as a desirable option." The seats were available in cloth, leatherette, and leather. All three materials were made by Recaro, and all could be ordered with seat heaters.<p>In 1998, Atmospheres were integrated mid-year into the Audi line, and Recaro was again retained to fabricate sport seats. The seats were ordered slightly wider, but were again available in any color scheme and could be heated or not heated.<p>In 1999, the sport seats kept their slightly different dimensions introduced in 1998 to make the seats comfortable for a wider (no pun) number of drivers and, perhaps more importantly, to have parts that could be more easily assembled quickly and in large quantities while keeping the level of quality as high as or better than non-sport seats. Present sport seats feature integrated side airbags, but do not incorporate a seatbelt fastener sensor and do not have the ventilation system that Recaro makes available to its aftermarket seat customers (according to AOA). All sport seats, from 1996 to 1999 (1997 to 1999 in the United States and Canada), have a dashboard heat control "wheel" if they are heated. 1997 is the last time an Audi of America brochure mentioned Recaro's association with seat production, a decision was made that Recaro did not have the brand recognition in the U.S. required to make this a point to mention in a marketing effort.<p>Ironic, I think, since standard Recaros were such a big deal when Porsche made a point of mentioning the seat production deal between Porsche and Recaro for the 928, 968 and 993 a couple years ago.<p>Hope this helps end the debate.<p>Cameron
Old 02-11-1999, 05:34 PM
Cameron

Default Ooops... more...

Bose was also an available package 1996-1999, of course. BTW, no A4's brought into the U.S. legally (some may have been brought in as gray-market to get them in early 1996? It's possible, I guess) have the sport package, though all 1996 2.8's are non-sport and have the three-spoke sport-wheel from the sport package.<p>Cameron
Old 02-11-1999, 05:55 PM
ChrisW

Default Good post, tks Cameron! Since we're on the topic of seats...

Cameron, I've asked this before, but I'm considering using Classic Soft Trim (which has the appropriate cutouts -or whatever they're called- for both regular and sport seats, to do my upcoming sport seats in leather. My dealer won't approve of the action due to liability concerns of the side air bags. CST states they have the correct thread & know how to make the leather seats w/out them interfering with side bags. I therefore will prob. end up paying a little more for them, unless I can get my salesman to get me a better price since CST offers a better rate to dealers. My question is, how many people do you know of that've done this and what kind of luck have they had? Thanks!!! <p> Chris 99.5 1.8TQMS Lt.silver/grey...in April! (maybe)
Old 02-11-1999, 07:57 PM
Cameron

Default Well...

I don't know anyone who's done this. I know people who got new brackets and used their Recaros from 911's in the A4. I know people who bought Recaro SRD's and had them installed. I know people who had Recaro SPG's custom painted and installed. I know people who had Recaro Sports custom upholstered and installed. But I don't know anyone who has messed around with the stock seats. Be sure to disconnect the side airbag before you mess with them, just as you would disconnect the passenger and driver airbag when dismantling the dash. I won't comment on how to complete the disconnection operation, aside from saying that airbag plugs are orange or yellow and should not be changed in setting, alignment, or mating by any person not authorized to work with explosive devices according to state and federal laws.<p>Cameron
Old 02-12-1999, 02:32 AM
Geza

on 96 A4's, 4 spoke wheel was standard; sport wheel was optional
Old 02-12-1999, 06:05 AM
Andy Hedin

Default One minor correction....

You wrote:<br>>In 1997, the Sport package became available in the U.S., and<br>>the seats were made by Recaro again. The sport package in the<br>>U.S. included a sport steering wheel, sport seats, and a sport<br>>suspension, though each of the three options could be ordered<br>>separately by dealers there was a block package price if<br>>dealers ordered seats, wheel, and suspension. This helped <br>>"build brand equity around the sport package as a desirable<br>>option." The seats were available in cloth, leatherette, and<br>>leather. All three materials were made by Recaro, and all<br>>could be ordered with seat heaters.<p>One minor correction...the "Sport" package in 1997 was available only on the 1.8T's and included the following:<p>1) Sport steering wheel<br>2) Sport seats with Jaquard Satin cloth<br>3) 16" 5-spoke alloys with M&S rated tires (either Continental ContiTouring or Goodyear RSA)<p>That's it...the suspension was the same as stock. Also, I've never heard that the sport seats were available separately. The Sport steering wheel was available as an option for the stock cars. And depending on how nice your dealer was, you might have talked him into swapping the stock 15" rims & tires for a set of 16" 5-spoke's....although you'd probably have to give him some additional $$$ for the trade.<p>I know all this as I have a '97 with the "Sport package" and I just upgraded the springs & shocks to the factory "Sport" pieces from a '98. I've got new front and rear sway bars on order from Clair.<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar Chip, ABT Filter, more...
Old 02-12-1999, 07:00 AM
Cameron

Default Incidentally, (more)

The sport package is simply a lumping of options that's convenient and builds a "sporty" brand within the A4 brand for the U.S. market. Your dealer can order only the sport steering wheel, only the sport suspension, only the sport seats, or a combination of these to suit your needs. Audi Exchange in Highland Park occasionally orders cars without the sport seats but with the sport wheel and suspension for customers, I'm not sure about other dealers' policies.<p>Cameron<br>
Old 02-12-1999, 07:32 AM
Andy Hedin

Very interesting!
Old 02-12-1999, 07:44 AM
Geza

One automatically get sport steering wheel with sport suspension

Quick Reply: Hey Cameron, was that Recaro seat issue ever resolved?