A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Engine Fan and Dead Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Fan and Dead Temp Gauge

Okay, so I just bought my first Audi. It's a 2001 A4 1.8t FWD. First off, I'd like to say I'm a noob around the Audi scene, but not a noob when it comes to forums. I know I'm suppose to search and I did, but was not satisfied with what I found. The answers were kind of all over the place and I'd like a definitive answer. So if you know the answer or a thread that can clearly help me please point the way.

Anyways, the fan upfront is on all the time. As soon as I turn the key to acc position (engine not even cranked), the fan kicks in. From the sound of things, it seems to be on high. Also, the temperature gauge in my car is not working. It is dead I think; pinned cold at all times.

I read about the engine coolant temperature sensor causing fan problems. Could this sensor cause both the temp gauge and fan acting erratically? I haven't gotten a vagcom yet because I seriously just got the car yesterday. Please point me out to the right direction.

Thanks guys
Louis
Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ruckus1027
Okay, so I just bought my first Audi. It's a 2001 A4 1.8t FWD. First off, I'd like to say I'm a noob around the Audi scene, but not a noob when it comes to forums. I know I'm suppose to search and I did, but was not satisfied with what I found. The answers were kind of all over the place and I'd like a definitive answer. So if you know the answer or a thread that can clearly help me please point the way.

Anyways, the fan upfront is on all the time. As soon as I turn the key to acc position (engine not even cranked), the fan kicks in. From the sound of things, it seems to be on high. Also, the temperature gauge in my car is not working. It is dead I think; pinned cold at all times.

I read about the engine coolant temperature sensor causing fan problems. Could this sensor cause both the temp gauge and fan acting erratically? I haven't gotten a vagcom yet because I seriously just got the car yesterday. Please point me out to the right direction.

Thanks guys
Louis
The temperature sensor (ECT) has nothing to do with the fan, it provides an input to the ECU and the gauge.

The electric fan is controlled by a thermoswitch in the radiator. When the AC is on the fan should run all the time.So the first thing to do is turn off the AC (ECO) if it still runs you probably have a bad switch.

The mechanical viscous fan will keep the engine cool enough in most climates, it's only when it's really hot should the electric fan cut in.

The temp gauge could be the cluster or the temp sensor. Best to get a Vag.com and find out which one.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

+1 Those are different circuits.

If you don't have access to a VAG-COM, that coolant temp sensor is only about $20. And it will make the temp gauge go manic.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Alright well I located a Vag-com owner in my area and I plan on meeting with him tomorrow. Hopefully, I can straighten everything out. Thanks a lot for the help guys.