A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How do you remove steering wheel horn pad? I need to fix a buzz/rattle coming from steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-1998, 12:56 PM
Andy Hedin

Default How do you remove steering wheel horn pad? I need to fix a buzz/rattle coming from steering wheel.

How exactly do you remove the horn pad from the steering wheel? Does it just pull off or are there screws<br>somewhere that have to be removed. I've got an annoying buzz/rattle somewhere in the steering wheel and when<br>I push or pull on the horn pad area it seems to stop. Thanks,<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Tint
Old 11-11-1998, 01:02 PM
Cathleen

Default Don't

Take it to the dealer where they have the proper tools to do this. You don't want to risk deployment of your airbag!<br>-C.
Old 11-11-1998, 01:58 PM
klidge

Drive the car into a wall at about 30 mph. That oughtta open it up for ya'.
Old 11-11-1998, 04:12 PM
Dale B

Default Here's how to remove it

There are two torx screws that come in from the back side. You'll need a torx screwdriver or bit - not sure of size, but it isn't an unusual one.<p>My car actually had a nut fall of the back of the airbag and it was rolling around in there. (If you just have a little bit of noise, this probably isn't the problem). The airbag module is attached to the steering wheel pad. I would suggest not disconnecting the wires, particularly without consulting a manual first for the proper procedure.<p>The airbag won't go off just because you remove the horn pad/airbag module, unless, of course, you do something really stupid. For the record, however, I don't recommend messing with it.
Old 11-11-1998, 05:20 PM
E

Default The Fix...

Hi Andy,<p>I took care of a buzz and a rattle coming from under my steering wheel cover a couple of weeks ago. After removing the 2 torx screws, I unplugged the air bag. I found two causes of the rattle -(1) the air bag wire was vibrating against the metal air bag base and steering wheel base, and (2) the 3 springs and floating coupling for the horn assembly needed tightening (torx again) and a spritz of lubricant. For the air bag wire, I used a pc of foam to keep it against the sw base. I did this once before without placing a pc of foam and the noise came back within a day. BTW, an otherwise great dealership, would not have put in the time to discover the noise and correct it.<p>Good luck,<br>E<br>96 A4QM<br>96 A4QM<br>86 4KS<br>P.S. I could write a book on taking apart this car..
Old 11-12-1998, 08:57 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Thanks all.

Thanks to all for the comments. I'm going to give it a try as I'm pretty mechanically inclined plus I really don't have a lot of faith in my local dealer to take the time to correct this.<br> Andy Hedin
Old 11-20-2017, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale B
There are two torx screws that come in from the back side. You'll need a torx screwdriver or bit - not sure of size, but it isn't an unusual one.<p>My car actually had a nut fall of the back of the airbag and it was rolling around in there. (If you just have a little bit of noise, this probably isn't the problem). The airbag module is attached to the steering wheel pad. I would suggest not disconnecting the wires, particularly without consulting a manual first for the proper procedure.<p>The airbag won't go off just because you remove the horn pad/airbag module, unless, of course, you do something really stupid. For the record, however, I don't recommend messing with it.
Thanks Dale B. I had a rattle that was driving me nuts, but it only happened over certains types of road surface, mainly the recycled tarmac kind. I followed your advice, i didnt remove the battery like i read somewhere else, i removed the horn on the steering wheel, i had a T30 size alone to remove the 2 screws on the wheel. i then lowered the pad which is attached to the air bag, i did not need to remove mine. I placed a black piece of draught excluder under the horn, and voilla, no matter rattle on any roads. Thanks man... It was bugging me for months