A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How do you wash your car when its cold outside??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you wash your car when its cold outside??

I want to get rid of all the salt on my car and its around 35 today. This should be the highest temperature for a while. Should i just take it out and spray it down?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Wash it then bring it in the garage to dry....>

but if temps dip below freezing then I go stealth in dirt mode.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:49 AM

pull it in the wash bay at work and make one the the bondo b*tches wash it.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default full detail before each winter. then just spray it down with the rinse at local self service carwash

too bad I missed the 60F days to do that detail

probably going to suck it up and then pull it into the garage with a heater.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Spring/Summer/Fall full details then I just keep my Adam's microdrying towel...

in the trunk for Winter spraydown(s) (only rinse) at DIY carwash. I then usually give it a little wipe down with Adam's deatil spray and microfibre when I get home or at lunch after the car has sat in the sun. I wish I had hit up the weather last week to detail for winter, but the sun goes down so early it makes it nearly impossible unless you do it on a weekend with work and all. The biggest key is proper and full details with 5 layers of wax before Winter arrives then it's just a matter of power rinsing your car
Old 12-09-2006, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did a full claybar and wax last weekend

Felt wonderful - so smooth. Then I parked near trees at work and the birds got to it. Argh...

As to the original question, when it's cold out, my brother washes it. He's good for something. Or it doesn't get washed at all. Remember, dirt protects the finish. ;-)
Old 12-09-2006, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Consider a no-rinse wash...

Optimum No Rinse(ONR) or Quick and Easy Wash (QEW)are discussed at length at autopia.com. Search their formums for ONR or QEW.

I used ONR for the first time 2 weeks ago. Outside temps were 15F. I was able to wash my A6 and A4 with 3 gallons of water total. The stuff is very weird at first blush. There were no bubbles in the wash water. The polymers in the wash solution cause the dirt to adhere to the wash mitt ("sequester" is the word for it), so rinsing the mitt does not release the dirt into your wash water. I washed and dried a panel at a time as instructed. When I finished, I washed the mitt with soap/detergent and it released the dirt. Down the sink drain it went, my garage floor had a couple gallons of water on it and the cars were clean.

ONR is a worthwhile and useful product IMHO.<ul><li><a href="http://autopia.org/forum/">http://autopia.org/forum/</a</li></ul>
Old 12-09-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Normal wash for me

But also I live in Georgia so temps don't get to cold like up North its a high today of 55 which to me is freezing. But I do use warm water from inside for the soap and water.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default heheh... not w/o a little suffering if you're in New England!

Rubber gloves are key - like the kind you wash dishes with - they keep your hands warm and shielded from the wind, and your sleeves from getting wet. Fill the wash bucket with hot water, too.

If you get a few hours in the afternoon sun and it's' not freezing, you can power through it. It's all about speed in the Winter. Get the whole car washed with the sponge, then do the rinse. Wash the weels and chamois the entire car dry. You may want to open the doors and dry the door seals and frame so this doesn't freeze shut
Old 12-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Banned

Make sure you wear long rubber gloves and your hands will be toasty warm!

Quick Reply: How do you wash your car when its cold outside??